«14»

'Carinholm. Population of 92.'

We were on a ferry on the way to Carinholm. Jake was reading out loud the leaflet about it. I rested my arms on my legs and stared at the floor. My head was clouded with thoughts, the knot in my stomach growing each movement we were closer to the island. I hope everyone was still alright after all this time.

'There is just one hotel...oh, that's us!'
'Mmm, yeah hope there's bourbon.'
I heard a bird screen above us, though it didn't catch my interest enough to look up.
Jake's dad exclaimed. 'Oh, wow! Jake, Lydia, check it out! That's a Peregrine Falcon!'
'A Peregrine, like the headmistress?' said Jacob.
'Sure. Hey that's probably where grandpa came up with the whole turning into a bird thing.'
'Or maybe, maybe that's really her.'

I winced as Jake shouted, 'Hey Miss Peregrine! It's me, Jake! Im Abe Portman's grandson! Please don't crap on us!', followed by, 'Oh my god, dad, I'm kidding. Lydia?', he rested a hand on my shoulder, 'Are you okay?'
I sighed. 'I'm fine. Sorry, the current's just a little bumpy.'
'You do look a little flustered kid. But the good news is we're here!'

We stepped off the ferry. 'Right, er, is there a map on the leaflet, Jake?' his dad asked. Jake rotated it in his hands. 'Don't think so.'
Mr. Portman sighed. 'Hey, do you know where-' he turned to call to the man on the boat, but he was already gone.
'Dammit. Now what?'
Jacob looked around. 'Carinholm seems pretty small. Surely it can't be that hard to find?'
'This way,' I cocked my head towards the village, 'come along fellows.'
We walked through the town. The Priest Hole was in front of us a few moments later.
'See,' said Jacob, 'it is kinda small.'
Jake's dad nodded, before turning to face me. 'How did-'
'I've been here before.' I said. 'Came here with my parents, before they turned me into foster, anyway.'
That wasn't a full lie.
'Ah. So they know you here?'
'Y-yeah? Kind of.'
'This should be easy enough then.' Mr. Portman smiled. 'Let's get wrapped up, kids.'

'What the- hello? Hello? Anybody home?'
We wandered around the room. Jake pulled my over to a wall covered in photos. 'Hey, check this out.'
'Yeah.' I nodded.
Our eyes scanned the wall, before we heard someone cackling behind us. We turned around to see an old man in a wheelchair with someone who looked like he was in his 50's.
'Oh hey. Any idea where I'd find the manager of this place?' Mr. Portman approached him.
'That's me. Sorry to keep you, just helping Uncle Oggie to the loo.'
'Oh.'
The man shook his hand. 'I'm Kev, there's a room upstairs.'
'Oh, great.'
'I'll be back in a bit.' Kev placed his hands on the older man's shoulders. He nodded. 'Okay:'

'Kev's just getting our suite ready. While we're waiting, I thought we could maybe check out the beach!' Mr. Portman said as he put his camera her his head.
'I thought we'd go to the children's home? Is the beach where the birds nest?'
I bit my lip, keeping my head low.
'I thought we could just check it out real quick.'
'Well, me and Lydia could go to the home ourselves.' I glanced up. Jake looked over his shoulder at me, before facing his dad again.
'Then, you can really take your time and enjoy it. Besides, Lydia seems to know her way around.'
'Jakey, you can't rely on her for everything.' His eyes flickered from Jake, to me, and back to him, 'Besides, what if she doesn't know where it is and you guys get lost? Your mom would freak for both of you.'

'What if we could find someone to take us?'

Very sorry for the long delay!
But here you go!
Love you!
-Katelyn x