Chapter Eight

'Fresh debate over whether straight actors should play LGBTQ characters arises.'

'Rumours surround Y/N L/Ns sexuality as star posts photo on Instagram of herself alongside co-star Jodie Whittaker.'

'Caught rainbow-handed? L/N and Whittaker allegedly seen KISSING in public.'

Y/N drummed her fingers as the article page spooled.

Actors Y/N L/N and Jodie Whittaker star together in the upcoming lesbian Christmas film, Let's Fly Away. There's already been talks about the pair's sexualities as L/N has posted a few behind-the-scenes photos that fans think hide something more than just a strong friendship. The alleged image only increase the speculation.
The photo has been taken along a secret section of a London promenade; presumably the two wanted privacy to share their intimacy. (Photo: @hattieswizzles)

 (Photo: @hattieswizzles)

Fans were quick to reply.

@becca: OH MY GODDDDD #lesbiansinlove

@deathinparadise3: I knew it. You knew it. We all knew it.

@OlliesBiscuits: ❤️❤️

Surprisingly, neither other fans nor the actors have commented to confirm or deny the allegation.

"Shit!" Y/N slid her phone across the table so fast it rocketed of her mug and onto the floor with a clunk. She groaned, loudly, as if doing so it would fix it all.

"I hear discontent." Jodie called from the other side of the trailer. "Am I right?" Her head appeared from behind the door.

"Maybe."

"News?"

Y/N nodded.

Jodie frowned. "What happened to our No News Tuesday? We were doing so well."

Y/N sniffed, squeezing her eyes open and closed to stop the tears she could feel in the corners.

"Hey," Jodie sighed and pulled up a chair, picking up the phone and placing it face down carefully. "Wanna talk about it?"

'"Not sure." Y/N gulped as Jodie paused.

"Is it..is it about the other night?"

"Partly, yeah."

"Oh." She noticed Jodie look away and quickly grabbed her arm, ignoring the sudden shock on the other woman's face.

"It's not that we...you know. It's just.......other people." Y/N pulled up the article and let Jodie read through it. "Have you had articles like.....that before?"

Jodie shook her head. "Not as bad as this, no."

"Great." Y/N rubbed her eyes. Her fingers were damp. "I can't bring myself to look at the photo."

Jodie remained silent, scrolling. Y/N stared at the table, suddenly noticing the round rim stain she left the other week.

"It's photoshopped."

Y/N glanced up. "What?"

"They've got my top colour wrong for starters. And your face is completely off. Your lips are forced into a smile, and your parting's in the wrong place. Not to mention there's too many highlights in your pretty eyes for the night lighting."

Y/N bit her lip as Jodie handed back the phone. "See? You can barely see the E/C there's so much."

"Oh, yeah."

Pretty eyes? If Jodie had realised what she'd said, she wasn't showing it.

"I, um. I actually wanted to talk about that night with you."

"Okay." Before Jodie started to speak, Y/N stood. "Wait." She checked outside. The golden hour had just begun. Should she? "I know a place."

Jodie seemed unsure.

"Sorry, just, come. No one can hear us there. It's better."

As they left the trailer, Y/N hoped the pounding in her chest wasn't the start of a heart attack. Even if Jodie was going to tell her something she didn't want to hear, it had to be somewhere nice. Bonus if it was a good thing.

————————————————————————————

Jodie shivered in the wind. The only warmth she could find was the weak sun rays on her face and Y/Ns body beside her. But the view. Living in London for a while, she'd seen city. But not city like this.

She wasn't quite sure where they actually were. A....tower? A tower on top of BBC studios overlooking Inverness? It felt like something out of an American teen rom com. Although, the collection of grey clouds along the horizon and the drab graffitied concrete brought them back to Earth.

Y/N suddenly yelled into the landscape. Jodie gave her a look, and a shy crinkled smile replied. "Try it. Let your words be carried across the lands."

"Since when were you this romantic?"

"I'm trying out a new personality at the moment."

Bloody hell. "Suits you." Jodie wasn't used to being this insecure. "Aaaah." She stuck her tongue out.

"Bit louder."

"No."

"Just a little bit."

"No, Y/N."

"Please."

Jodie rolled her eyes. "Aaaaaaaaahhhhhh!"

"Louder still."

"What happened to 'no one can hear us there'? Yorkshire can probably hear us."

"I can promise you."

"Oh really?"

"Just do it!"

Y/Ns voice sounded distant as Jodie took a deep breath in. "AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"

That felt good. So good the wind had been knocked out and she was giggling like a chipmunk. She turned around to share it, but Y/N had disappeared, the door to the stairs still wide open.