Chapter 15

Warnings: Mention of sexual assault, mentions of alcohol 

Grace's POV

"I'm getting what I fucking want." I feel a sense of dread wash over me as I realize my body is paralyzed. A dark figure hovers over me and in that moment I feel like I am going to die, but I can't do anything to stop it. I spot my reflection in the window directly across from me, but I barely recognize my disheveled self. "Wake up, Grace." the girl in the reflection whispers to me, looking terrified as the dark figure grows larger. "WAKE UP!"

Suddenly my eyes tear open, my heart racing, breathing slightly hitched. I lay perfectly still, steadying my breaths just to make sure that I really am truly awake. Something shifts next to me in the bed and I nearly jump out of my skin until I realize it's Tom. Parts of last night start to form with broken clarity in my mind. Tom saving me from that monster, Tom taking me to a diner, Tom asking me to trust him and me asking him to stay. I smile to myself when I feel him wrap his arms around me once again. His breathing evens out as he drifts back to sleep. I'm so thankful that he is here. Without him, I likely wouldn't have slept at all. And while it goes against all of my better judgement, I feel safe when I'm with him. I always have.

I let out a soft sigh and untangle myself from Tom's arms. I probably smell horrendous and I don't want Tom to have to politely ignore the smell of alcohol and sweat wafting off of me from last night so I take a quick shower. The hot water gives me a chance to better arrange my thoughts and piece together all of the events that have taken place since I ran into Tom that Friday night. And while my mind is screaming at me to press for details regarding Mr. Holland's business, my heart is telling me to trust Tom. Also, it's not my place to police Tom's life. In all the years that I've known him he's never given me a reason to think he's dangerous.

I hop out of the shower and head down the stairs to start making breakfast. As I'm mixing the pancake batter an exhausted looking Nia trudges through the front door. She mumbles something and gives a weak wave before dragging herself up the stairs to her room. Judging from the state she seems to be in and the fact that she has been out working on her coursework for nearly an entire day she'll likely fall asleep and thankfully stay asleep for a while. I don't really feel like giving Nia and Jenny the details just yet on how I've gone from swearing off of Tom to having him sleep in the same bed as me all in the span of twenty four hours. Especially since I don't really know what I'm doing either. All I know is how even just the mere thought of him sends a small thrill through me. A thrill that gets harder and harder to ignore the more time we spend together.

I hear the floorboard creek and look up to find Tom standing in the doorway between the kitchen and the foyer. "Goodmorning," I squeak, trying to hide the blush that creeps into my cheeks. I wonder what he's thinking about me, the situation, everything.

"Morning, darling" he responds, rubbing a hand through his hair. I can't help but smile at him. What is happening to me? Why am I still interacting with Tom after everything that's happened? This is so unlike me.

"I hope you're hungry because I made way too many pancakes," I say, sitting down next to him and stacking a pile of pancakes onto my plate. Tom lets out a low chuckle before placing his own stack of pancakes onto his plate. A comfortable silence settles over the kitchen as I sip some tea from the steaming mug in front of me. The bright morning sun shines through the large windows bringing out the golden brown hues in Tom's eyes. I'm mesmerized as I take in his side profile. Tom looks over at me, a smirk plays across his features as he notices my staring. My eyes quickly dart back to my plate, but I can still feel his gaze lingering on me.

I'm about to break the silence when the doorbell suddenly rings. Thankful for the distraction, I pad over to the door. Tom follows behind me from a distance clearly trying not to seem like he's eavesdropping, but failing miserably.