Chapter 17

Grace's POV

Tom drives us into the city, parking his car in a massive parking structure. "I don't know about you, Matthews, but I'm starving" Tom says as we exit the parking structure's lift.

"I'm always down to eat." I laugh, walking along the bustling street next to Tom.

"Perfect," he states, casually. I smile up at him. He smirks as he casually slings his arm over my shoulder expertly dodging through the crowds, guiding me through the throngs of pedestrians. He looks so at ease, every part of him exuding confidence. It's hard for me not to stare. I notice others noticing him, noticing us, and I wonder what they think when they look at us. Can they all see how much I like him? Can he see how much I like him?

We end up at a cute little restaurant situated inside an outdoor pavilion. We sit and watch the sunset as we eat. When we finish dinner we just walk around, talking about everything and nothing. There's so many sights to be had from lovely little boutiques to delicious smelling cafes and restaurants it's impossible to not get caught up in all of the hustle and bustle. We amble up to a little outdoor concert in a tree lined park. All around us people are slow dancing and I smile at how picturesque it all looks.

Tom reaches for my hand "Dance with me Grace," he whispers. His gaze makes me feel all fuzzy inside and I smile shyly as I take his hand.

"I don't know how to dance," I whisper back. I look into his eyes and don't dare look anywhere else. If I look around I know I'll get way too self conscious and probably run away or something. I don't want anything to ruin such a fairytale moment, especially not my overactive brain.

"I'll guide you," he breathes into my ear. His sturdy hand wraps around my waist and his other hand holds mine. If it wasn't for his strong grip on me I think my knees would've given out and I'd have collapsed in a puddle on the floor. I feel like I'm clutching onto his shoulder too hard, but I don't want to fall or mess up. I wonder if he can hear my heart skipping in my chest?

Tom smiles softly down at me as we sway to the music. I will myself not to blush as I look into his beautiful brown eyes. He keeps his strong grip on me as he leads me through a simple back and forth movement. After a few minutes the song comes to an end and I rest my chin on Tom's shoulder for a few seconds not wanting this moment to end. How did I get so lucky?

The crowd cheers for the park musicians and Tom tosses a few tenners into their tip jar. The musicians start up once more, this time playing a quicker paced pop hit and the crowd begins to thicken considerably. We stand in the park for a little while talking and listening to the music, but the crowd keeps expanding. It's getting harder to hear Tom over the noise and I feel myself getting a bit overwhelmed. I can tell Tom is also getting annoyed by the crowd. "Follow me," I hear Tom say, nearly shouting to be heard over the crowd. I struggle to match his fast pace as he weaves through the mass of people.

The cobblestone streets are crowded as locals and tourists alike savor the clear, beautiful summer night. I can't seem to keep my eyes focused as I walk along the sidewalk. Finally, he grabs my hand and leads me through the crowd till we reach the edge of the river.

Standing beneath the dark London sky, taking in the city lights as they reflect off of the River Thames, I feel ethereal. It's been years since I've been to this part of the city and I've forgotten how beautiful it can look with the twinkling fairy lights painting everything in a soft hazy glow. I feel more at ease now that we've distanced ourselves a bit from the crowds. It feels more intimate. Part of me wishes we could dance again here, along the river. I shiver involuntarily at the thought of just him and me pressed together under the city lights.

"Alright, Grace?" Tom asks, looking over me.

"Yeah, yeah, I'm brilliant," I say smiling. Tom gives me a soft smile back as he leans against the railing lining the river. "I was just thinking that the last time I was on the Eye was during our year six school trip." I reminisce as I watch an elderly couple walk up to the London Eye's entrance.