Chapter 9

Warning: Language, mentions of drugs

Grace's POV

I wake up early this morning, two hours before my alarm. Falling asleep was pretty much impossible because all I could think about was my amazing date with Tom last night. I can still feel his lips on mine, his hands on my body. Thousands of thoughts, worries, and anxieties race through my brain constantly, but when he kisses me it all melts away into nothing.

Naturally, Jenny and Nia had stayed up last night waiting for me to get home to tell them everything which I happily obliged. I decided, however, to leave out the part where Tom had to leave quickly because of a family emergency. I knew Jenny, in particular, would latch onto that detail questioning the validity of this supposed family crisis. And I didn't want to think about that. I didn't want to taint a perfectly good memory with my overactive imagination. I didn't want to think that maybe it wasn't a family emergency, maybe he got a call from another girl. Someone he would drop everything for at her every beck and call. I didn't want to think that maybe I was just some temporary fix for Tom, who's list of previous flings, hook-ups, and girlfriends was a thousand times longer than mine.

Part of me is honestly a little glad that we were interrupted. I could tell where that kiss was heading and I'm not sure if I'm ready for that yet with Tom. It was months into my second relationship before we did anything more than kiss. I wouldn't consider myself a prude, I just want to be sure that the person I'm with is someone who I know really loves me and who I feel safe with. And I'm not sure yet about Tom. Physically, I feel safe when I'm around him. But I just can't ignore his reputation. I'm not looking for a one night stand only type of guy and as far as I know, Tom has never been in a steady relationship. I have no idea what his intentions are with this relationship and it makes me nervous.

I decide to head over to the hospital early because I know that if I stay home any longer I'll just drive myself crazy with all of my overthinking. I slip down the stairs, careful not to wake Chester who is sleeping peacefully on the living room couch. I pull out my phone considering texting Tom to ask him if everything is alright but decide against it. I don't want to come across as clingy or anything. I decide to take the long way to work since I have plenty of time to kill and start to make my way towards the city. It's so early the sun hasn't even risen yet. The moon paints the desolate streets in a hauntingly beautiful way.

I take my earbuds out of my backpack and fumble around in the dim lighting to plug them into my phone. Glancing up a chill runs down my spine. Police tape wraps around the Tap House Bar barring anyone from getting through. The bar is in terrible condition having lost the entire second floor and much of the first to a raging fire. I cross the street to get a better look at the ruined bar that I was in only just a few days ago.

It must've been some sort of faulty wiring that caused the fire since the power short-circuited the last time I was there. I approach the building cautiously making sure to stay behind the police barriers. This must have happened sometime last night because it was perfectly intact when Tom and I drove by it heading towards the restaurant. I notice as I'm inspecting the building a black car partially concealed behind the dumpsters in the alleyway. I look around but see no one on the street. The police must have cleared this area hours ago, likely waiting until morning to resume the cleanup efforts since the building seemed to be stable. I edge a bit closer attempting to read the license plate when I hear a crashing sound coming from the damaged building. Jumping at the loud noise I shrink back a bit into the shadows. I watch as two familiar-looking men slowly make their way out of the Tap House and towards the black car struggling under the weight of a large metal contraption between the two of them.

"Jesus this fucking thing weighs a ton." One of the men grits out while hoisting the metal contraption into the trunk of the car. "What the fuck is even in this thing?"