03 | Human-Clad Monster (3)

03.1 | A scar is a memory you cannot forget.

"Those scars... they are from your 'death', are they not?"

Fernand jumped at the sudden noise, dropping the jar of salve as he did. "Stop doing that!" He snapped as he bent down to pick up the pieces of the now broken jar. The god purred in confusion, and he seized up, dropping a shard into the open wound across his thigh. "Why can I never dress my wounds in peace?" He hissed as he dug the shard out and wiped the blood away.

"Stop doing what?" Duma asked lethargically. "I have done nothing wrong."

"Don't play innocent. You should-"

"Who said I was not innocent?"

"Let me finish." Fernand set the shards on the nightstand behind him, then hastily wrapped what was left of his wounds. "There are better ways to get my attention-"

"None of which you actually listen to, unless ignoring me would prove to be fatal."

Fernand stifled a scream, nearly tearing the bandages as he wrapped them. "What were you asking about the scars?" He asked through gritted teeth as an effort to redirect the conversation.

The War Father hesitated for a moment, then inhaled sharply to get Fernand's attention. "The ones down your arms and back. Where did you obtain them?"

"Do you not remember? You killed me." Fernand sighed, tying a cursory knot in the gauze around his stomach. The gashes underneath were still fresh and untreated and he knew that leaving them like this would cause an infection but at this point anything was better than having to listen to this bastard any longer.

"Your own actions killed you. Whether you like it or not, that is the truth you must accept." A cold breeze cut through the room, biting at the open wounds. Duma took a quick glance at the laceration encircling the nobleman's leg. "All of your scars are a culmination of your sins. Every loss, every mistake, every shortcoming- your own history is written on you. You have no one else to blame... except for yourself." He slowly fell back asleep, emitting a low hum. "You are tying those bandages incorrectly. I just wanted... to inform you..."