05 | Human-Clad Monster (5)

05.1 | Clarity

Unable to force himself to cry anymore, Fernand stood up, almost disgusted with himself.

"Fernand?" Duma asked, his voice softening. "This is unlike you."

"What is?"

"You recovered so... abruptly. And over the topic of your family, no less." Instinctively, the spectre flinched as Fernand messily wiped away his tears, despite not having a physical body. "This is a sign, is it not?"

Fernand scowled as he swept a few stray hairs out of his face. "A sign of embarrassment. Now that you know how sensitive a topic it is, you're going to use it against me."

"...What?"

"I know what you're doing. You've been trying to make a fool out of me. First, you exploit me with my own wounds," Fernand said through gritted teeth as he stormed out of the room. "You put Clive in the middle of this out of spite- even though what he did to you was deserved- and now this. I believe I have made it clear that I do not want to discuss this any further."

05.2| Puppet

"Move." Fernand mindlessly shambled along, following the mad god's words.

"Cease." He slowed to a stop on command, still and silent, as if he were dead.

"It... worked. I have full control of him," Amazed, Duma stopped to admire his successful vessel. "Now I must leave this place unnoticed. Were Clive to find out-"

"Fernand?"

Duma didn't even need to order his puppet to investigate the noise. "Of course he's here. Ignore him and escape."

Still saying nothing, Fernand broke into a sprint down the hall.

"F-Fernand, wait! What are-?"

He continued to run, letting out a blood-curdling scream that momentarily kept Clive from trailing him.

"...Not what I expected, but-" The mad god quickly imbued a blessing onto Fernand. "Get to the temple." Giving into instinct, Fernand scrambled out of the door, taking in the cool air of the night.