Chapter 24

Lexa POV

They left the house and Fiona led them to the main area of shops and food places. It was a little more busy since it was closer to lunch time. Fiona pointed out that kids had school until around three so that's why no kids were out. There were similar things from Bellmare and Eden but it was also different.

Fiona led them to a type of diner. They walked in and there were people sitting at tables and eating. Fiona led them to a table and they sat down. Lexa looked around the room. It had torn up posters on the walls, wallpaper was a little destroyed but it was very neat and clean.

"This is from the first bombs. We didn't really do anything with this building besides move the debris and shit." Fiona said. "And we fixed it up so it was more stable but everything is the same since like 2030 or whatever."

"This is cool." Raven said, looking around.

A woman came over with something in her hand. The woman was about to hand them a piece of paper but was stopped by Fiona. "All five of us are taking the special." Fiona said. The woman nodded and then walked away.

"What is that?" Octavia asked.

"You'll see." Fiona said. "You'll like it."

"I've been meaning to ask." Clarke started. "Is Callahan your brother by blood?"

"Yeah." Fiona said. "We have very different lifestyles so we barely see each other but we were never close during our childhood. When a boy turns ten they can start to train to become a guard for the king if they wish. Callahan's dream was to do that so when he turned ten he moved into the castle and I didn't see him again until he was eighteen. He's three years older than me." She explained. "I float around. I do what I want and not follow or serve the king."

"Not trying to be rude but if you are in the way of the king as you said, why hasn't he, like you know, killed you." Raven said.

"Because I know too much." Fiona said. "As soon as he puts a kill order on me, everything will get out. If they try to assassinate me, things could get risky."

"Like what would get out?" Lexa asked.

"Every child of the royal blood has been a boy to keep the Bancroft legacy going. You know the one about a King being a Bancroft ever since the bombs?" Fiona said. The four nodded. "You think not a single girl was born during those hundred and some years?"

Clarke asked the question that everyone was wondering. "What happens if a girl is born?"

"What do you think?"

"They kill her." Clarke said, after a moment. Fiona nodded. "Like after they are born?" She nodded again.

"How do you know this?" Octavia said.

"When I was like seventeen I would sneak into the castle for fun and skip school. The guards suck." Fiona said, picking up a fork.

"Why don't you say anything?" Raven asked.

"Chaos. Fear. The safest place on earth is a lie." Fiona twirled the fork in her finger. "Lives will be at risk that don't need to be. I think you get the idea."

The woman came back with five plates of food. Lexa looked at it and there was three cooked frogs with some type of green vegetable mixed together. They thanked the woman before she walked away.

"Why are there fairy legs on my plate?" Raven asked, picking one up.

"It's a frog, I think." Octavia told her.

"Good because I wasn't about to eat tinkerbell."

"Just eat it." Clarke said. Raven tore a piece off and put it in her mouth. Fiona looked shocked. "What?" She asked Fiona.