Chapter 5: Soul Within The Crystal

"Winter. It's time to wake up already."

Winter thought he heard Lunae's voice speak to him from nearby. But everything was black. And everything hurts. Winter couldn't see anything, and all he felt was pain.

"Winter. The battle's over. You survived. Now wake up already." Lunae continued to speak, this time in a more commanding tone.

I'm alive? Then this must be a dream. Lunae...

"Yes, you're dreaming. And you've been out for far too long."

I have? But I still want to rest. Can't I sleep just a bit longer? Winter spoke to Lunae with his thoughts. And Lunae couldn't help but notice that Winter's thoughts sounded exhausted. Not just physically, but mentally. Lunae felt as if Winter's will would collapse from all the stress and exertion.

"Please Winter. I still need you. Your friends still need you! So you have to wake up now."

My friends... need me? Why would they need a useless dragon like me?

Lunae felt hurt by these thoughts, and continued to solicit consciousness from the IceWing. "Is that what you think? Useless? Do you think I chose you to bear the crystal because I thought you were useless?"

I...I don't know what you think!

" Well I know what you think! I've seen it in your mind non-stop ever since I started watching you! Your love for your friends!" Winter felt himself wince at these words. "You can hate yourself all you want, but your friends care about you! I realized that ever since that Qibli dragon came around here. So please wake up already so you can see him again!"

These words stirred something from within Winter's being, and he began to feel himself cheer up a little. He's right! My friends do care about me! But... am I worth caring about? Do my friends see something in me that I can't?

Winter then started to feel a warm presence press up against him, but he still couldn't see. However, he didn't have to. He knew whose scales those belonged to.

Qibli!!

"Winter! Winter!" The IceWing thought he could hear his friend's voice.

Lunae then spoke one more time. "He's calling you. So are you finally going to wake up?"

"I am! I want to wake up again! I want to see Qibli again!" Winter said as he finally regained consciousness.

The IceWing opened his eyes slowly, and saw the familiar scales of his SandWing friend. Winter had been lying asleep in Sanctuary's infirmary. And beside Winter's bed, was Qibli who had been holding onto Winter's talon as he slept. Qibli's warm gaze lit up as he noticed the IceWing awaken. Water was slightly building in the SandWings' eyes.

"Winter! You're awake! Winter!" Qibli shouted as he hugged his friend's head close to his chest.

Winter smiled a little as a result. "I guess I am." Winter then used this moment to take in Qibli's warmth as he pressed against him. Normally, Winter hated anything that made him feel less cold, but Qibli was probably the only exception. For some reason, the SandWing's warmth made him feel comfortable. Just as comfortable as he would be covered in a blanket of snow.

Qibli soon ended the hug, and placed his talons on Winter's shoulders so as to be face to face with him. The SandWing was smiling when he started to speak. "Thank all three moons you're safe! You know you really scared the absolute shit out of me, right?"

Winter raised one of his brows with a smirk. "Did I? I thought you said you trusted me earlier?"

"That thing almost split you in half! Of course I was fucking scared!" Qibli shouted at his friend.