Chapter 8: Biting The Bullet

Winter collapsed to the floor as he was finally overcome with pain and fatigue.

We really did win? And we managed to kill this one! Despite the pain, Winter couldn't help but feel relieved. One of the five mech generals was defeated. The thought made Winter brim with hope that the metallic threats could be dealt with.

While still in thought, Winter heard Qibli call out to him. "Are you ok?" The SandWing said as he flew over to his side, and gently lifted Winter's chin to get a close look at his face. "Three moons! Your face is covered in blood!" Qibli looked at Winter with deep concern.

Winter failed to contain a soft smile as he saw Qibli worry over him. "Does anything look broken?"

Qibli scanned his eyes over Winter's body. "I... don't think so? Even your teeth look fine." Winter was surprised to hear this considering how he felt his fangs shatter underneath Lich's fists. "Those powers Lunae gave you are really something, huh?"

"I guess they are..." Winter said before coughing a little.

Qibli then wrapped an arm around Winter. "Here. Lean on me, if you can. You've been through a lot right now."

"Thanks Qibli." Winter said as he let the SandWing hold him close. Winter then brushed his snout over Qibli's neck. "I'm glad you're ok. I was afraid one of those mechs was going to shoot you."

"Don't worry about me, Winter. You're the one who's in pain right now." Qibli then grit his teeth a little. "I... shouldn't have let that thing attack you like that. Moons, I feel so useless right now. If it wasn't for Peril rushing in like that... you might have..."

Winter then interrupted the SandWing by placing a talon on his cheek. "Please don't blame yourself, Qibli. I put myself in that dangerous position. I'm the one who needs to fight more carefully. And Peril... how is she?"

"C'mon! Let's go check." Qibli then used a wing to support his boyfriend's weight as they both walked over to where the other dragons were.

Clay had a cloth wrapped around his wounded leg while he was examining the wounded SkyWing's body. He held one of her talons as she blushed slightly. "Is there anywhere else that hurts you?" Clay said as he looked at her with worried eyes.

Peril definitely looked in pain as her body was covered in bruises. She answered Clay with a wince. "I... think something's wrong with my chest. Moons, that thing had a tight grip!" Peril then gasped in surprise as Clay pressed a talon on her chest and started to feel around "Eep!" squeaked the orange dragon as her face became crimson with blush. Winter also thought he felt the air around her heat up a little.

"Sunny!" Clay said while the small SandWing female sat in back of him. "I think that mech might have broken some of her ribs. And one of her arms looks kind of limp." Clay then picked Peril up with both his front talons. The large MudWing seemed to ignore whatever pain he might have been feeling from his own wounds at the moment. "Don't worry Peril! We'll get you inside, and I'll take a better look at you."

"Oh.. uh... cool." Peril responded as she smiled at Clay. Despite her wounds, Winter noticed that Peril almost looked blissful while being cradled in Clay's arms.

Tsunami, who was looking out at the sky incase of any other dangers, then looked at Winter and Qibli. "You two okay? You might need to rest too if you think anything's broken."

Winter answered quickly. "I'm fine! Just a little tired. I can still make the trip to the rain Kingdom!"

Qibli looked at the IceWing with surprise. "Are you sure? I won't blame you if you want to stay-"

"No!" Winter shouted as he broke away from Qibli's grasp. "I really am fine! Look!" Winter then flapped his wings to show their functionality. "Lunae's powers are healing me as we speak!"