Chapter 14: The Battle of Mallet Island

About three hours had passed by before the group of dragons had finally made it to where the Diamond Spray Delta could be visible. The sky was now dark as stars gleamed across its vastness. Thankfully, one of the three moons was practically full and was shedding just enough faint light for the dragons to be able to see themselves and the silhouettes of the landmasses. However the darkness still made it impossible for any of them to be able to see anything detailed off in the distance. Except for Turtle, due to him being a SeaWing.

Since they were getting awfully close, Winter decided to ask Lunae some questions out loud. "So Lunae. Where is this island you were speaking of?"

Mallet Island should be a few miles off the coast of this delta. It will be easy to spot. This island itself is noticeably occupied by a small mountain, and a medium sized SkyWing castle. Lunae answered.

"A SkyWing castle? Really?" Winter wondered what a castle would be doing so close to the coast if it wasn't built by SeaWings.

"Did you say a SkyWing castle?" Asked Turtle as he glanced at Winter. "I think Starflight told me something about a strange SkyWing aristocrat commissioning a castle somewhere near the Diamond Spray Delta a couple of hundred years ago. It was rumored he had done so due to an affair he was having with a SeaWing princess. But tragically, the SkyWing was found dead not but a week after the castle had been built. Apparently a tidal wave struck the island while he was outside, and the aristocrat drowned as he was pulled by the murky waters. The truth of his motivation for building the castle was never discovered due to his untimely death."

Qibli winced as his face scrunched a little. "Yeesh! You sure that wasn't just some horror story?"

"No. All the documents exist for the castle's whereabouts. Although, it has reportedly stayed abandoned since then because of rumors of hauntings and misfortune plaguing the castle grounds. But that part is mostly chalked up to superstition."

Kinkajou shook a little while smiling excitedly. "C'mon Turtle! That's no fun. What if it really is haunted? Woooo~! A bad luck island with a haunted castle! I can't wait!"

Moon smiled awkwardly at her RainWing friend. "You seem, maybe, a little too excited about all that."

Winter added his own input as he stuck his chin up. "Besides, we're on an important mission in case you forgot. We can't afford to get distracted by nonsensical stories right now."

"I agree with Winter." Hope said as she nodded at the IceWing dragonet. "We need to stay focused at all times. And it'll help a lot if we start flying closer to the ground. Having the enemies spot us before we find them first would be disastrous. Turtle! You're going to have to take the lead from here on out. Your dark vision is going to be crucial for our hunt."

Turtle gulped as he faced Hope. "Oh, ok. I-I'll try my best."

Turtle then flew in front of Hope, who was previously leading the pack. "Don't worry Turtle! You got this!" Kinkajou cheered from behind him.

"Shush!" Hope placed a talon to her mouth as she addressed Kinkajou. "We also have to keep our voices down from here on out as well."

"Eep! Got, I mean-" Kinkajou then shut her mouth as she nodded at the sole adult in the group. Winter also found it amusing how Kinkajou then changed her scale colors to dark blue and gray shades to better blend in with the darkness.

All six dragons were now flying low as they hovered over a sandy beach that stretched into the delta. The scent of the sea was strong and the sound of crashing waves was plentiful. Wouldn't it be ironic if one of us got pulled into the murky depths just like that SkyWing aristocrat Turtle mentioned.