Chapter 12: Revelation

Winter felt his talons rest on a soft bed of leaves as he stirred back into consciousness. The IceWing slowly blinked his eyes open as he smelled the scent of medicinal herbs in the air. He looked around and saw that he was lying down on a bed next to a group of wounded NightWing's in what he figured was the village's infirmary. One of the poor dragons had a large amount of bandages wrapped around her side where her left wing should have been. Winter remembered her being one of the dragons unfortunately hit by an attack from Kraken.

At least she's alive. Winter thought as he breathed a sigh of relief. I'm glad the casualties were low this time. Lunae? Can you hear me?

Of course. I can hear everything you think. Remember? The scavenger answered.

Winter recalled the shape of the lance he summoned in battle, and how he was able to use it to kill Marilith and win his fight. That lance... What was that? Another one of your powers? How many more powers should I expect from you?

Lunae responded informatively. None. That was the last animus power you should expect from me. You are now aware of all the animus powers I have cast on myself in the past.

What!? Winter was a little disheartened to hear this. A part of him was hoping that Lunae was actually hiding more incredible powers for him to make use of. In truth, Winter was becoming quite accustomed to using such powers to his full benefit, and he yearned for more. But... Why did you hide that last power from me then? It seemed to be quite useful. Wouldn't it have been more advantageous if I had known about and used such a power in earlier battles?

Maybe? But the truth is I had kept that power from you simply because I was unsure if you'd be able to use it. It's not a power that was intended for a dragon.

This answer confused Winter. But aren't all of your powers not intended for dragons?

I suppose. But this power was worded in such a way that made me unsure if it would be able to transfer over when you absorbed my soul. Lunae spoke to Winter as if he had been thinking during their conversation.

Whatever... I guess it doesn't really matter. After all, the only thing that matters is that I have it, and that it allowed me to defeat my enemy. Winter reimagined the image of the lance piercing his enemy with intense speed and precision. How exactly does it work?

That power is known as an Archenemy, and it is simply a powerful weapon that can be summoned and controlled through your will. Your rage filled emotions during the last battle must have been the catalyst for the summoning. And your killing intent for your enemy must have been what willed it to strike Marilith.

I see. Does that mean I can only summon it when I get angry? And why is it called an Archenemy? Please don't tell me you name your powers, or something.

I would appreciate it if you didn't judge my motivations for naming it, thank you very much. Lunae responded hotly.

Winter smiled as a result. He didn't mean to come across as teasing Lunae, but it always made him happy whenever he managed to get an emotional response from the usually stoic scavenger. Sorry! Just found that to be an interesting choice for a name. Archenemy sounds like something you'd want to avoid rather than fight alongside.

That is understandable. Lunae sighed, and Winter felt as if he was smiling alongside him somehow. As for your earlier question, no. I believe as long as you will it, the weapon should appear. Your emotional state earlier simply summoned the Archenemy in a subconscious manner. One that didn't require you to be aware of the power.