Chapter 10: The Guests Arrive

*Sean's POV*

The next handful of days came and went, and before I knew it Thanksgiving was upon us. Ryan and I hadn't discussed last Friday night since, though it still pissed me off how I felt he flipped on me. We had been united in our distaste and hatred for this situation, but all of a sudden he changed his mind without even talking to me. For him to snap at me in front of them on top of it?

I shook my head, the anger already coursing through my veins didn't need any more ammunition. I took another swig from the beer I'd been nursing as I sat on the bar stool at the kitchen island as I watched my mam scurry about the kitchen checking on all her dishes. I never understood why she insisted on doing all the holiday cooking when there were plenty of maids to do it for her.

Ryan and our dad were drinking in the living room while watching the parade on the television. In between commercials, Dad would check on the turkey he had frying out on the back patio. Mam had insisted on roasting a turkey to follow the traditions taught to her by their ancestors, but Dad decided to make a competition out of it to see who cooked the better turkey.

I hated turkey in general, so either way I would be focusing on the side dishes. The meat was always just too dry. Unlike Ryan and Justin who were human garbage disposals and would eat anything, I had a more refined pallet.

"Don't you let that thing burn out there!" Mam called into the living room from the doorway.

"Hey, you worry about your bird, and we'll worry about ours," Dad laughed in response.

Returning to the kitchen, she smacked my arm as she walked by. "And you? What use are you today? Your brother is at least helping your father. You're just drinking all our beer before the meal is even served."

I sighed and slid off my stool. "Alright, Mam, what do you want me to do."

"I want you to get over your attitude and be a real gentleman to Saoirse today!"

Groaning, I plopped back onto the stool I'd been sitting on. "What is with you?"

"No, Sean Patrick Donnelly, what is with you? She is the best match for you, and you continue to behave so poorly with her. I raised you better than this. Stop being an ass to her."

It was pointless to argue with her when she thought she was right. I rolled my eyes and finished off the bottle in my hand. The doorbell rang, causing Mam to almost drop the bowl of carrots in her hands.

"Calm down, lady, I'll get the door," I told her.

I hoped it was anyone but my fiancée and her family. Fortunately, I had a bit longer before she arrived as I found Justin and Maria on the other side of the door. Justin held their suitcases in either hand, and Maria held a dessert box.

"Happy Thanksgiving!" Justin called. The kid was bouncing out of his shoes in excitement to be back home.

Laughing at him I stepped aside to let him inside the house; Maria followed close behind. A scream from behind me scared me enough to cause me to jump in surprise as our mother came flying down the hall to wrap her arms around both Justin and Maria. I quickly snatched the cake box from Maria's hands just as she fumbled with it.

"Mam! You almost made her drop the cake!" I playfully scolded her.

"Oh, hush! My favorite daughter-in-law is here. Of course I'm excited."

Ryan and our dad appeared next, both chuckling at our mother's excitement. Ryan pulled Justin from Mam's grasp and hugged him hello before Dad got his hands on him.