Chapter 18: One Step Forward, One Step Back

*Ryan's POV*

Mouth already dropped open, a gargled sound of protest eked out as I watched in utter horror as the shrimp flew from my grasp and landed perfectly in Claire's cleavage. My eyes widened as the events unfolded in slow motion. The background noise in the restaurant faded away as we both froze in shock.

Claire's vibrant blue eyes widened in shock as a deep crimson blossomed across her cheeks and spread to the rest of her face. Slowly, her head turned down to look at her cleavage.

I hadn't been able to move my eyes from her breasts the entire time. Do I try to fetch it out of there? If I did, would I use a fork or my fingers? It probably would be a terrible idea to try and fish it out with the chopsticks.

Or do I not get it and let her remove it herself? That's probably the best option, right? Right?

Oh my God, I threw a shrimp down her fucking shirt.

She was going to hate me forever now.

"Claire." My voice squeaked out just barely audible.

She blinked back tears of embarrassment as she reached into her shirt and quickly removed the invader. She stuffed it into a napkin and balled it up on the table as far away from her as she could place it.

I wouldn't have minded eating it. I wonder what her breasts taste like after an incident like that?

Ryan, shut the fuck up, man. You're going to completely blow this!

Oh shit. Oh shit, oh fuck, oh shit.

She caught me still staring at her breasts.

Move your eyes up! Move your damn eyes away from her boobs and up to her face you idiot!

Our eyes locked, her face deepening to a purplish red from a level of embarrassment I'm sure she had never experienced before.

"I am so fucking sorry!" I blurted out. "I swear to God, it was an accident! I didn't mean to throw it at your...uhm, at you in general."

Oh God, Ryan you almost just said at her tits. That was a fucking close call. Get your shit together, man! You're dying out here dumbass!

"Claire, I really didn't mean to. I'm so sorry! I–"

"It's fine," she cut me off, nodding her head and redirecting her eyes to the bowl in front of her.

"I really didn't mean to."

She continued bobbing her head and forced that fake smile back onto her face. Now that I had had the chance to witness her relaxed and comfortable real smile, I detested the one currently on her face. She was retreating back into herself and away from me, and it was all my fault.

There was no doubt in my mind that she was mortified by my actions, and the fact that it had been in front of everyone at a location she frequented surely made her embarrassment multiplied tenfold.

"I know you didn't," she responded in her quiet tone. Even her voice had receded back to its nervous stature. "It's fine, Ryan."

The waitress appeared silently and slid a fork onto the table next to my bowl and quickly walked away to attend to another table of guests.

We sat in silence, neither of us able to move the conversation forward. It killed me inside to watch her draw back from me when we had made such good progress tonight. What could I say to get her relaxed and talking again? Do I offer to let her fling one of her shrimps at me so we would be even? Do I completely pivot the conversation away from shrimp in general? That would probably be best, right? Avoid the situation entirely and move on. God, what the hell was I supposed to say now?