The Interview

The day of the interview was finally here! But waiting was kind of a pain, Mr. Slate was running a little late because of a meeting that was going on, a few other women were waiting as well for the same position. The meeting was finally over.

"You have impressed me once again Cliff!" Mr. Slate said.

Two men walked to the outside of Mr. Slate's office where me and the rest of the interviewees were.

"The aptitude test will be held tomorrow sir, me, nor the employees will let you down."

"That's good to hear! If you'll excuse me, I have job interviews to attend to."

The man with Mr. Slate was none other than Cliff Vandercave, one of the reasons I wanted this job, I'll explain it later. Cliff walked away from Mr. Slate and the interviews started.

"You go first Mrs. McCanyon," I said.

She knocked on the office door.

"Come in."

She went in. A minute passed and I started daydreaming, not just any old daydream.

*Rene and Cliff Flashback*

I was five years old, I was playing in the sandbox at recess at Bedrock Elementary School, my first days there were not very good because of one common disturbance of any child's peace, bullying. I was bullied because I was small for my age, just a couple inches shorter than the other kids. I was a late bloomer, one in ten kids went through it. Uh oh, here comes a group of bullies.

"Hi Rexy, or are you still a baby Rexy?"

They giggled.

"See, I told you she was still teeny tiny."

"How did she get enrolled without checking how tall she was?"

"She's not even close to being tall!"

One of them kicked some sand in my face. They laughed loud at me.

"Leave her alone!" Said a voice.

We looked at a little boy in the same class, short black hair and brown eyes.

"Aaaahhhh...Clifford."

"Didn't your mommy and daddy teach you not to hit girls?" He asked.

"None of your business Clifford!"

"It's Cliff, not Clifford!"

"Didn't your mommy and daddy teach you your own name, Clifford?"

Cliff shoved the bully which caused them to gang up on him.

"Go ahead, beat me up, better me than her."

The bully scoffed.

"You're not worth our time, let's go."

They left. I was crying in terror but I felt a hand wipe sand off my face. I got a better look at Cliff.

"You're ok, they're gone."

"Thanks."

"You're welcome. What's your name?"

"Rene Rex."

"Cliff Vandercave."

We shook hands, he helped me up right after. I followed him to the long set of swings, we spent the rest of recess pushing each other on the swings and giggling.

*Flashback Interrupted*

"Miss. Rex, Mr. Slate's ready for you."

I looked up to see Mrs. McCanyon.

"Sorry, wandered off while waiting."

She chuckled.

"Happens to all of us when we're bored."

She left, I got up and knocked.

"Come in."

I walked in to see Mr. Slate sitting at his desk.

"Good afternoon Mr. Slate."

We shook hands.

"Good afternoon Miss..."

"Rex, Rene Rex."

(A/N: no Bond jokes in the comments pretty please and thank you.)

"Oh, it's a pleasure to meet you Miss. Rex, have a seat and let's proceed."

I sat down across from him and gave him my resume.

"You are currently a cleaner for Bedrock Inn. Why do you want the same position in my company?"

"Because I want to try a new and more exciting environment, I've worked at the inn for ten years, wanted a little bit more adventure."

"Some adventure, spreading your wings, that is the best answer I have ever had in all my years of running this company. You have amazing enthusiasm, more than the others I can predict. You know what, you got the job."

I smiled.

"You mean it Mr. Slate?"

"Yes I do, you are qualified for the job and we need a cleaner as soon as possible. You start tomorrow morning."

"Thank you sir!"

We shook hands and I left. I walked outside to see Fred, Barney, and the rest of the workers on their way to lunch.

"Fred, Barney, I got the job, Mr. Slate hired me on the spot!" I shouted.

Their mouths were open.

"Yabba dabba doooooo!" Fred shouted and jumped.

"Congratulations Rene!" Barney shouted.

The rest of their coworkers clapped welcoming me.