Awkward Position

As I was dusting tables in the foyer, I saw Wilma walking in holding Pebbles.

"Wilma...Pebbles, what're you doing here?"

I hugged them.

"We wanted to pay Fred a visit."

"He should be in his office."

I walked them to Fred's office. We walked in on him and Miss. Stone, he was sitting at his desk and she was too close for comfort.

"Fred?" Wilma asked.

"Wilma, honey, hi, what're you and Pebbles doing here?"

"To pay you a visit at work, Rene walked us to your new office."

Miss. Stone rose up and walked to Wilma, Pebbles, and me.

"I do apologize for this awkward position you just witnessed, I am Miss. Stone, Mr. Flintstone's trusty secretary. You must be his wife and child."

"Nice to meet you."

"...Well...I must be tending to my secretary duties."

She smirked then turned to me.

"And Miss. Rex, you must be tending to your duties as well...like...I don't know, dusting."

"You're absolutely right Miss. Stone, I'll start with dusting the smirk off your face."

She raised an eyebrow and walked away.

"Rene, we never heard you talk like that before!" Fred said.

"Don't let her get to you, she's a T.R.A.M.P, if you know what I mean."

"I won't, I promise. You know why?"

Fred held down the button on the Dictabird.

"My wife is the most beautiful girl in Bedrock."

"My wife is the most beautiful girl in Bedrock," the Dictabird repeated.

Wilma looked like she felt better about the situation.

"I gotta get back to work before Mr. Vandercave scolds me again."

"Again?" Wilma asked.

"I'll tell you the whole story later."

I gave Pebbles a little belly tickle which made her giggle and left the office. As I closed the door, Cliff was right in front of me, I gasped.

"Mr. Vandercave you scared me!"

"That was quite a show Miss. Rex."

I looked at him confused.

"I eavesdropped on the little commotion between you, the Flintstones, and Miss. Stone. I must say your comeback was a little uncalled for."

"All I did was stand up for myself, I'm not as weak as I used to be. Miss. Stone was being snooty to me and Mrs. Flintstone."

"Let me let you in on a little secret Miss. Rex, you should be more careful of how you talk to your coworkers, if Miss. Stone is trying to bother you, riling you up like Velociraptors during their time of the season..."

He leaned in a little.

"If you know what I mean."

He leaned back.

"You can come to my office and report it to me instead of what you just did in there. Are we understanding each other?"

"Yes sir."

He nodded and grinned.

"Very good. Let me walk you back to your cart in the foyer."

He wrapped his arm around me and we started walking.

"I do understand that you're standing up for the people close to you but let's not turn to verbal insults."

"Report to you."

"Right."

We walked in the elevator.

"I am your boss, although I am your superior, I do care for you Miss. Rex."

"Sure you do," I whispered.

"What was that Miss. Rex?"

"I said yes you do care, you clearly do. That's a true boss."

He chuckled as the elevator stopped.

"You flatter me Ren-Miss. Rex, here's your cart. A couple more things, remember what I said about coming to me when a coworker bothers you, and I sincerely apologize for scaring you, really I do."

"All's forgiven Mr. Vandercave, I best be getting back to work."

"Certainly, have a good day."

"Same to you."

He left me to get back to dusting the foyer.