The Test

I quit my job at the inn due to my new job with Fred, Barney, and Cliff. So far, my first day at Slate and Company was cleaning bathrooms, which was what I was hired to do. Not only was it my first day, but also, the aptitude test Cliff was telling Mr. Slate about yesterday was today as well. After the last bathroom stall was cleaned, I pushed my cart out of the bathroom and started walking and pushing down the hall, I heard mumbling outside, I walked to the nearest window to see Fred, Barney, and the other outside employees at tables with Cliff going over the directions with them.

"You may begin," Cliff said sitting down.

They got to testing, hammering their chisels like there was no tomorrow. I kept an eye on Fred and Barney while cleaning the window I was watching from. Fred noticed me looking. I waved at him and held up my thumb to encourage him.

"Miss. Rex, open the window," I heard Cliff say.

I looked to my bottom left to see Cliff standing up and looking at me, feeling anxious, I opened the window to hear him clearly.

"Yes sir?"

"I would suggest you get back to work, you're causing a distraction."

"Sorry sir."

I closed the window.

Each window was cleaned as time passed. I went back to the first window I cleaned and saw that time was up. I saw Barney switching the tests with Fred.

"Barney, what are you doing?" I asked to myself.

Barney then turned both his and Fred's test in. I bet he thought he was gonna pass and Fred was gonna fail, I thought about it more, what a good friend. Barney is one of the kindest people I ever known. They think the world of each other like me and Cliff did when we were kids. We looked off of each other's work before, wanting each other to do good, that's what friends do.

It was only a few minutes before lunch break, I was scrubbing the floors of the foyer.  I wanted to hurry a little bit. I heard a thump, I looked over to see Cliff and Miss. Stone walking out of the elevator that just stopped. I continued scrubbing.

"Miss. Stone, could you wait for me outside please?"

"Yes Mr. Vandercave," she said seductively.

She winked and walked out. That leapord skin wearing tr-!

"Good afternoon Miss. Rex," Cliff said.

"Afternoon Cliff."

"It's Mr. Vandercave to you, Miss. Rex, I am the Executive Vice President of this company and you will address me as such. We're not children anymore."

He said the last sentence less aggressively, he remembered me but chose not to acknowledge like always ever since high school.

"Yes Mr. Vandercave, I sincerely apologize for my ignorance."

"Very very good, that is much better. Now, about earlier during the aptitude tests...what was that?"

"I didn't mean to distract everyone, I was only watching in support of Mr. Flintstone and Mr. Rubble, them and their wives are friends, like family."

"Well Miss. Rex, I must say that it worked, because Mr. Flintstone scored the highest and he is getting a big promotion."

I smiled and sighed.

"That's amazing to hear Cl-Mr. Vandercave."

"And make sure these distractions won't happen again, I was going to fire you but I decided to give you another chance because it's your first day. I will not go easy on you next time. Are we clear Miss. Rex?"

"Yes sir...Mr. Vandercave."

"Good. If you'll excuse me, I have to inform Mr. Flintstone the good news."

And at that, he left me to continue scrubbing.

"Yabba dabba doooo!" Fred shouted from outside.

The other employees cheered, I chuckled. Congratulations Fred!