First Sip - 3

Compared to the mornings, Friday's night shift is a breath of the freshest air. Not only did you walk into work at a glorious three in the afternoon, the line is practically non-existent after the initial after-school rush. Plenty of downtime to spend with your favorite barista, Hoseok. Your other favorite, Namjoon, has already finished his shift for the night.

"Thank you! Enjoy your drink~" Faced with Hoseok's brilliant grin, it's a wonder that the customer manages not to flush as she takes her latte. "Phew, busy day."

"This is considered busy for you guys?" It already seems like a dream to you.

"It's usually quieter, yeah." Hoseok checks his watch. He only has a few minutes left himself and he's so eager to get home.

"I'm so jealous. I can barely think in the mornings."

Hoseok starts toying with the knot on his apron. "Why not switch to our shift? We'd love to have you."

"Can't. Night classes and all. I can only pick up the spare shift here and there, but the morning works better for me. As much as that suuucks." You down the last of your mocha, wondering if you should make another to get you through the night.

Hoseok closes the distance between you, swinging an arm around you for a sort of side-hug thing that you're happy to reciprocate. "You work too hard."

"Can you tell my bank account that? It seems to think the exact opposite."

Laughing, Hoseok pulls away. He rids himself of his apron. "Okay, I hate to leave you, but my shift is over. You going to be okay closing on your own?"

You nod, already decided on starting the mopping as soon as he leaves. "It's been a while but I'm pretty sure I remember how to do it."

"Good." Hoseok grabs his eccentrically green bag. "Call me if you need anything! Goodnight!"

"Will do. Bye!"

The door jingles and Hoseok exits with a sunny smile, waving ecstatically until he's out of view. You take a second to connect your phone to the café speakers, letting your soft playlist fill the absence that Hoseok's upbeat tunes left behind. Then you make for the supply closet, fetching the mop and bucket. The store closes in an hour, and you get an hour after that to make sure everything is immaculate for the next day. Plenty of time.

As you drag the wet mop across the floor, your mind starts to wander. Maybe you could switch your classes around. The semester is ending soon anyway. You've just been so used to your current routine that you didn't want to mess with a good thing. But this? This quiet, this solitude? The lack of Min Yoongi? It's looking very appealing.

You snap out of your thoughts when the door swings open.

"Hello, welcome!" You look up, locking gazes with a pair of warm hazel eyes.

"Hi." The stranger's easy smile captures you, makes you forget your bearings for a second.

Don't creep on the customers, you remind yourself as you rest the mop on a table. "Just give me a second."

"No problem at all." He walks to the counter, head tilted up to briefly glance at the menu but all you can notice is the gorgeous curve of his jaw.

You wash your hands and rush back to cash. "Thanks for waiting. What can I get for you?"

"A large iced caramel macchiato, please. With light ice and skim milk."

"Got it. And what's your name for the cup?" Then you remember he's the only one in the shop. Smoooth. "Uhh, never mind. Just tap there to pay."

He chuckles. "I'm Jiwon."

You can only weakly smile in response before turning away to make the drink.

It doesn't take long at all, and you're almost sorry to see him go when you hand it over. You swear he purposefully brushes your fingers when he grabs it, keeping a grin on his face all the while.

"Thank you. Have a good night."

Then he's gone, leaving you to stare at how his half-tucked button-up clings to his slim figure, wrinkling just right with every confident step he takes. Wow. Jiwon, huh? You turn his name over in your mind. You'll probably never see him again, but a girl can hope.

As you finish up the mopping, you settle into a nice average of about two customers every ten minutes. You start working on some of the lesser used machines, hoping no one will order that out of the blue drink to force you to activate it again. With ten minutes left until closing, you're already dreaming of Netflix and barbeque chicken, leftovers from last night.

Ding!

You turn to face the counter. "Hello, welc..." The words die in your throat. Your voice drops an octave. "What are you doing here?"