Extras: Almost

yoongi meets the new (never late) coworker.

a/n: this takes place a few months after the end of the main story!

With one hand on your hip, the other holding a cup with something frothy and heavily caffeinated, you scrutinize the steaming drink

With one hand on your hip, the other holding a cup with something frothy and heavily caffeinated, you scrutinize the steaming drink. A few seconds pass before you dare to lift the cup to your lips. Taking a deep swig, the bitter flavor floods your tongue and you swallow it down, feeling the heat travel through your body. A welcome warmth on this chilly autumn day. Especially since the taste is no longer as burnt as it had been a week ago.

"Okay..." You announce, "you pass!"

A pause.

Then the familiar steam machine hiss is accompanied by a whoop of triumph from a boxy smile. A warm arm is thrown around your shoulder without hesitation. "I did it! I diiid it!" Taehyung's joy is absolutely palpable as he leads you in a roundabout dance in the limited space behind the counter. He's finally allowed to serve actual coffee to your customers now!

You haven't the slightest clue why someone who dislikes coffee insists on working in a café, but he claims to 'enjoy the atmosphere' and the patrons love him. Either way, you and your taste buds revel in the excitement of not having to taste god awful drinks any longer (it's been a rough three weeks of training).

The door bell goes off just as you both spin around, limbs tangled in each other as you poke between his ribs.

"Tae, we have customers! Let go!"

He does so slowly. It takes you a few moments to straighten up, to pat down your apron from the wrinkles he caused with all that roughhousing.

"Having fun?"

It's a familiar voice, one slightly amused and low. Is that--! You look up into the cool eyes of your boyfriend, a sight you haven't seen in about half a month since you've both been caught up in the whirlwind that is adulthood. His expression is neutral, undecipherable.

"Yep! We are!" Taehyung chimes in, completely clueless. "What can I get you?"

"I'll take your assistant manager," Yoongi says without batting an eye.

"Uhh..." Taehyung's eyes flash from you, to Yoongi, back to you.

You snort. "Tae, meet Yoongi."

"Oh! Oh, right. Yoongi. The one who used to work here." Taehyung makes a quick recovery before he's beaming again. "She's all yours!" He pushes you towards the low counter-gate.

"Gee, thanks for the permission," you throw back in a dry voice. But you're too excited to see Yoongi to actually be irritated.

Fingers tangled in the strings of your apron as you undo the knot, you rush into a nearby seat that just happens to be the loveseat for two. Your feet relish in relief for the first time in hours. Yoongi plops down next to you, his bangs falling over his dark eyes. You are impossibly fond of those eyes, the softness within them that are your little secret to keep. Tonight, though, he looks exhausted.

"How's my genius producer doing?" You murmur, drawing light circles with your nail on his shoulder.

"Song's done. Fuckin' finally."

Your lips quirk up. "Is it gonna be a hit?"

"Obviously."

Yoongi stifles a yawn, stretching to the cracking of joints. He scowls at the sound of aging, but it seems half-hearted as you continue to grin at him. He seems to be getting more energized by the second, especially as he jerks his chin towards the counter. "I see you've replaced me already." He dares to smirk. "I know we haven't seen each other in a few weeks but damn, you move fast. Got a thing for coworkers, huh?"

Laughing, you cock a hand under your chin. "Oh, babe, didn't you know? Not only is he friendly, Tae is always on time."

"...But you said his coffee sucked."

"Not anymore! He passed training five minutes ago."

"He's... disrespectful towards management."

You shrug casually. "Yeah, but he's cute enough to make up for it."

There's a glimmer of telltale rebellion in Yoongi's eyes. "I still have something he doesn't."

"Wha-at?"

"He's not in—" Yoongi abruptly stops. He looks down, bites his lip. "Wait. Never mind."

"Yah, don't tease me, babe!" You scrunch your face at him, hoping he'll reconsider.

But it just makes him even more playful. "Thought you liked being teased."

"Only between the sheets."

"Uh-huh."

You're distracted when Yoongi cups your cheek with his warm palm. There's a sudden intensity in his gaze that's overridden his mirth. Then he's kissing you, preciously like he always does, nibbling on your bottom lip, leaving affection behind every time he goes back for more.

You're thankful the café is mostly empty at this time of night. He's thankful for you.

With a faint smile, he murmurs, "tell you soon. I promise."

"Okay," you breathe. And you trust him.