Second Taste - 5

To set the record straight – you are not a coward. You are a rational adult making rational decisions that fit into your adult schedule. Begging Namjoon to switch shifts with you for the next month is just part of your regular plans, in no way influenced by the mixed, confusing, dizzying feelings that pop their heads up like groundhogs every time Yoongi crosses into your line of sight. Or your thoughts. Or really in any way whatsoever.

Okay... Maybe you're a little bit of a coward.

But you can't seem to help it. He's too distracting, now that you've had a second taste of his poison. A poison that, instead of stealing your life, seems to have claimed your rationality as victim instead. You experienced the consequences of this robbery for the first time on Friday morning, when Yoongi showed up on time (shocker!) for his shift. Instead of being absolutely delighted, all you could think about was that he should have slept in a bit more because of the bruised bags beneath his eyes.

Friday was the first time you'd seen him at all since that visit to his apartment four days prior. Namjoon and Hoseok had taken Yoongi's shifts throughout the rest of the week, you assumed to give Yoongi time to finish his song. You couldn't muster up the courage to ask Yoongi about the piece; it felt like you were prying into a world that he wanted you to stay firmly out of. You still don't understand why you're so interested in the first place, when you should be hating him.

The rest of that shift had been a hodgepodge of awkwardness, what with the flinching every time Yoongi brushed past your arm reaching for the syrup, then the weird high-pitched tone your voice went to when he addressed you. By the time you left work on Friday, you were determined never to repeat that again.

So here you are. Today. Monday night. Except this time, you're not spending it knelt on a musty apartment floor, swallowing Yoongi's anger. That's probably a good thing, you tell yourself. You need the time and the space to sort out your own emotions. To think about why the hell you keep replaying the sadness in his eyes, then corrupting that image with the coldness of his back in that chair and—

"Hellooo? Anybody home?"

A hand abruptly appears in front of your face and you jolt back to reality, whipping your gaze to find Hoseok grinning brightly at you. "There we go. I've been calling your name for ages."

"Oops, sorry Hobi. I just spaced out. What did you say?"

"I said that I'm leaving soon, silly." Hoseok leans against the counter, playful curiosity in his expression. "What're you thinking so hard about?"

"...Nothing important."

"Well, guess I can't blame you. All the downtime will do that to ya. And you're staying for the next month?"

"That's the plan." A customer approaches the bar, bringing you their empty plate. "Thanks, have a good night!"

Hoseok chuckles. "I thought you had night classes. Don't tell me you dropped out of college to avoid working with Yoongi."

The plate you were holding clatters as you drop it, smack the porcelain against the counter. "W-Why would I want to avoid working with Yoongi?" How did he know? Oh god, did Yoongi tell him what happened?

"Because he's always late?"

"Oh! Oh. Right. Yeah. Well, no, no, it's not because of him..." You don't sound convincing in the slightest, yet you have no choice but to plow on. "I'm just taking an online course this term. So why not take an easier shift because I have the time, you know?" To be fair, you were planning on taking the course anyway. It was just a matter of physically going into class or not.

"Makes sense." Hoseok grins. "And I'll always be on time."

"Yup. I can always count on you, Hobi."

He stares at his watch, watching the second hand tick the seconds away. "Aaaand I'm off. You'll have to count on me next time because I have a hot date!"

You wiggle your eyebrows. "Hope it goes well!"

Hoseok is out like a whirlwind in the matter of minutes. Left alone in the shop, you run a hand through your hair, surveying the little café. One customer taps furiously away on their laptop. Another devours what remains of their quiche. A third jots down notes while they parse through War and Peace. You're expecting no one else tonight, certainly not Yoongi to come bursting in like he had the last time you had a night shift. You'd better get started on cleaning.

As you wipe down the counters, remove the leftover food from the display case, the customers leave one by one. You hum a song beneath your breath, distracting yourself from any errant thoughts of a certain person that might be wanting to poke their head through. You're not having any of that. Not today.

Time speeds by, and soon you only have thirty minutes left to go. You're now alone in the shop, working quickly enough to ensure you'll be finished right as your shift ends and not a second more.

Then the door chime goes off. Your head snaps up, and for a moment, for an infuriating moment, you hope it's Yoongi.

Instead, another familiar face appears, that same, smooth, self-assured smile painted across his lips. Jiwon. This time dressed in a fitted suit, one that makes him look like he just stepped out of a magazine photoshoot. Still one of the most handsome men you've ever seen. Still not Yoongi.

"Hi. Hi!" You correct yourself, realizing you should sound less disappointed. "Welcome."

"Hi." His easy smile widens as he approaches the counter, devastating with those melting chocolate eyes. "Wishing I was someone else?" He asks with a laugh as he pulls out his wallet.

Oops. Your face must have given you away earlier. "No! Of course not." You force on a grin to match his, wiping your damp hands on your apron.

"Good. Because I was hoping for you. That you'd be working tonight."

"Oh..." Your face automatically heats up. There's no way he's flirting with you, right? Him, who is so far out of your league you're not even playing the same game. "I don't normally work night shifts."

"I noticed."

"I. Um. Ahem." You clear your throat out of sheer nerves. "What, uh, what can I get for you?"

"Just a black coffee this time, please."

"Got it. Go ahead and tap."

When you hand over the hot cup, Jiwon takes it leisurely. This time, there's no denying how he lets his fingers graze past yours for that extra half-second, how his eyes hold yours with something unfathomable and exciting.

"I'm working every weeknight for the next month!" You blurt out before you can stop yourself, not even knowing what the hell you're hoping for. Shooting your shot with this incredibly good-looking man. Making a fool of yourself, apparently. "So, uh, yeah."

To your great relief, Jiwon nods his head. He raises his coffee like a toast. "Then I'll see you soon. Goodnight." The way his voice lilts around and teases the parting word remains in your mind through the rest of your shift and even after when you get home, still thinking about how he'd smiled at you like a promise.

Maybe forgetting Min Yoongi won't be so hard after all.