Chapter One

As I slowly walked toward first period, I wondered what I was doing here. I shouldn't be at school right now. I should be dead.

As I walked into class, I saw the crowd standing around a desk. Obviously it was Jinx's. She's the most popular girl in school. She had straight girls questioning themselves. And I get it. I guess she's attractive. But I don't want that kind of stuff in my life. I would get too attached.

As I took my seat, the teacher got everyone's attention and told them to take a seat. As I doodles in my notes, not paying attention to anything that was coming out of his mouth, I fantasized about death. I imagined what it would feel like right before going numb, or if there was an afterlife. I found myself smiling as I doodled a knife. I guess I could say I'm not a normal teenager.

.during lunch.

I sat in the bathroom stall, my stomach growling. No, I told myself. I couldn't reward myself with food. As I played with my pocket knife that wasn't very hard to sneak into school, I had an urge. I took off my gloves to reveal cut up wrists with dried blood caked around the fresh wounds. I found a spot that was clear and began cutting. The pain was euphoric. I loved the feeling of numbness that comes right after a lot of pain. It's addicting. The bell rang and I slid my gloves back on and headed to class.

Fifth period I get the "honor" of sitting next to Jinx. We don't talk much, only when the teacher calls to talk to the person who sits next to you, and even then it's just muttering softly to each other. As I wrote on my paper that had nothing to do with what we were learning, I felt a gaze on me. I glanced up and saw that  Jinx was staring at my wrists. I panicked and checked to make sure the cuts weren't visible, which they weren't. What is she staring at? I ignored it and continued to write.
"Can you take your gloves off?"
I looked up and saw that Jinx was staring straight at me.
"Me?"
"No, the idiot behind you. Yes you!"
I scowled. Then it registered what she said.
"Wait what?" I asked.
"I asked for you to take your gloves off. You have hearing problems or something?"
I wondered how she was the talk of the school with this attitude. How am I gonna decline? I can't sound panicked or she'll probably get suspicious and report me to a teacher. But I can't take my gloves off...
"Well?" she pressured.
"Ladies, do we have a problem back there?" Mr. Whateverhisnameis asked. I don't really pay attention much.
"No sir." Jinx replied and narrowed her eyes at me. She turned and continued on her paperwork. I wasn't disturbed the rest of class.

.after school.

I was walking past the big oak tree in the school plaza on my way home when I felt a hand on my shoulder.
"You gonna show me your wrists now?"