Chapter 32: Interruption

Today's the day. It's the day Yoonie had been waiting for ages - ever since she first graduated from Sotia. She had been expecting to do so with her first ever friend; her most dearest confidante. Her magics were equally complicated - but she did not have a good grasp of it. Nevertheless, the time has come.

I can't believe Nako's graduating today.

Yoonie thought as she brushed her hair, humming a little jolly tune. Her spirits in an all time high, she was preparing to attend Nako's Graduating Ceremony - the fight. Just one year ago, Yoonie had been put in the same position, being evaluated for her skills in front of the masses at the stone colosseum. Reaching this point meant that Nako was guaranteed to graduate - it was merely a method to decide which faction she would be placed in.

From her protective nature and life magic, I guess she will be assigned to defend the flag.

Flashbacks from her experiences in the fight returned. Such an eventful occasion it was - being able to fully utilise her powers without holding back. But that was one year ago, and with Light Magic. So much has changed over the course of a year: with the most prominent being her newfound Dark powers. Once considered taboo, she had been gaining acceptance from the public as they learnt of her contributions to The Queen's Shield. Indeed, "The Black Swan" was making a name for herself in Iz*Land.

Hmm, I guess I still have a spare ticket.

———
"Hey Yoonie~ I'm graduating this upcoming Sunday! I would like to invite you and another guest of your choice to come and watch me during the ceremony. Hope to see you there!"
———

She recalled the contents of the letter sent by Nako. That was a week ago, but she still had yet to find someone to accompany her. Ryujin and Onda were busy with over-extended missions; while Yuri was already invited by another friend. The ceremony was a significant event for Sotia graduates - and held special meaning to all alumni of Sotia. It signified the beginning of their journey; the starting point towards serving the Capital; a commencement of sorts.

Well, I guess I'll just have to attend alone. Yoonie shrugged to herself, couldn't be bothered with the fact that she couldn't find a companion.

Wow - I've changed. To her surprise, solitude didn't trouble her anymore. Time spent with the Dark Arts had proven that she was unique - and that meant that she had to embrace her individuality. There was no one like her; no one would be able to understand her, no matter how much they tried. Not even the captured Jihoon would be able to - for he did not have the faith of the Capital in his hands.

Yoonie had to keep certain things to herself, even from her trusted friends. Things like the intricacies of Dark Magic, Minju's connection to the Ancient Arts, and even the alternate personality sitting in her belly. She reasoned that she had to do this, because she wanted to protect them; because she wanted to avoid burdening them; because she loved them.

Knowledge is power, but knowledge can also land you up in bad places. Especially when you have a King that practices the censoring of Deviant magic.

While queuing to be admitted into the colosseum, she spotted a familiar short-haired Beast Tamer with her trusty, snow-white companion.

"Yujin! What are you doing here?"

"Yoonie? Oh - hello," she turned around, an unexpectedness showing. In place of her frequent cheery attitude was a dejected, downcast expression. "I got a ticket to enter the ceremony... but the attendant said Azzo needs a ticket too." The girl explained it was her first time attending - as she managed to snag a ticket from the public raffle system. Little did she know that Azzo counted as one admission on her own. Even though pets were allowed inside the spectator gallery, Azzo didn't exactly count as a "pet". Besides, she was practically twice the size of a regular person.