CHAPTER-7

Minutes later Deanna was opening the passenger side door for Carly, who crawled out excitedly and began walking in the complete opposite direction of the store. Shaking her head, Deanna ran after her and grabbed her hand.

"This way," Deanna laughed. Carly held onto her hand tightly, skipping behind Deanna with an excited smile on her face. Deanna led them both into the store, ignoring the confused stares from the other customers when Carly continued to skip once they were inside.

Deanna grabbed two of the bowls from the counter and handed one to Carly. "Do you know how to do this?"

Carly looked at her blankly and Deanna sighed. "Here, I'll show you," she led Carly, who was still holding her hand, over to the wall of self-serve yogurt.

"These are the flavors," she nodded to the pictures at the top of the machines. Carly nodded and studied each one intently. Deanna let go of her hand so she could hold her bowl underneath the machine that dispensed Cookies&Cream flavored yogurt.

"See, you just pull the lever and—," Deanna paused when she turned around and saw Carly already filling up her cup with banana flavored frozen yogurt. She ran over and stopped the lever just before Carly's cup overflowed.

"That's enough for now," Deanna laughed. Carly pouted.

"Again," she pointed to the machine, going to fill up her cup even more. Deanna shook her head quickly and pulled Carlt over to the Cookies&Cream machine.

"Here," she handed Carly her empty cup. "You can fill up mine with this one."

Carly nodded happily, taking Deanna's bowl but walking over to a different machine. Before Deanna could stop her, Carly was filling her cup with Raspberry flavored yogurt. Deanna shook her head, sighing and accepting the cup back from a satisfied Carly.

"There's toppings over there," she pointed to the counter next to them. Deanna grabbed Carly's hand before she could run over and followed her. "Don't use too many."

Carly nodded, bending down and studying all of her different options. Deanna was adding strawberry slices into her cup when Carly tapped her on the shoulder and proudly held up her frozen yogurt, which was now covered neatly with banana slices.

"You really like bananas, don't you?" Deanna asked, laughing softly.

"Yes, Yellow," Carly nodded. She smiled proudly, and Deanna led her over to the cashier. They set their cups down on the scale and Deanna paid. She sent a warning glare to the man behind the counter when he began eyeing Carly, who was clapping her hands in excitement. He quickly gave her the change and she thanked him.

Deanna handed Carly a spoon, walking over to one of the tables. Carly saw down, crossing her legs underneath her in the small chair. Deanna laughed, sitting down across from her and taking a bite of her ice cream. She hadn't expected to like the Raspberry flavor, but it was actually pretty good.

Carly started eating her ice cream by picking the bananas off and popping them into her mouth one by one. Deanna watched as Carly happily chewed on her food. She looked up from her bowl and smiled widely at Deanna

"Is it good?" Deanna asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Yellow," Carly nodded, as if it were a completely reasonable answer. By now, Deanna had realized that it was to Carly.

"Pink," Deanna pointed to her cup. Carly nodded excitedly, smiling at Deanna as if she'd just unlocked one of the deepest secrets of the world. Deanna liked that feeling.

Carly finished half of her ice cream before she looked up at Deanna nervously. Noticing this, Deanna pointed to her cup. "Are you full?"

Carly nodded slowly. Deanna just nodded and took both of their cups, throwing them away. She saw the smaller girl sigh in relief, wondering why it bothered her so much to tell her when she was full.