CHAPTER-9

"Didi!" Carly hummed happily once Deanna walked into the kitchen. She shuffled over to Deanna and held up a banana. "We missed you."

Deanna glanced back at her roommates, who were all watching their interaction from the couch. She raised an eyebrow at them, and they all turned away, knowing they'd been caught.

"Do you need me to peel that?" Deanna asked, eyeing the banana that Carly was holding up.

"No," Carly shook her head. She stared at the banana for a few moments before bringing it to her mouth and trying to bite into it. She quickly pulled the banana away and stared at it in disgust. "I broke it," she gasped.

Deanna laughed and shook her head. "You didn't break it," she took the banana out of Carly's hands and peeled it halfway, handing it back to her. "You just have to peel it first."

"My savior," Carly hummed happily, looking down at the banana and then up at Deanna. "Want some?" she tilted her head to the side and held the fruit up in Deanna's face.

Shrugging, Deanna leaned over and took a bite of the banana. Carly giggled excitedly.

"Thank you," Deanna laughed at Carly's excitement.

"Thank you," Carly repeated. She nodded once and took a bite of the banana, humming in approval.

"No, you're supposed to say you're welcome," Deanna pointed to Carly to explain. "If someone thanks you, you say 'you're welcome'."

"You're welcome, thank you," Carly nodded happily and turned around, walking over to the counter and sitting on one of the stools. Deanna giggled at Carly's attempt, leaning against the counter and glancing back in the living room. Her roommates looked away quickly, but Deanna knew they were still watching her.

"You have a pretty laugh," Carly observed. She leaned across the counter and placed her fingers on Deanna's lips, as if she could hear her laughing thought touch. "I like it when you laugh," Carly reaffirmed with a nod.

Deanna's cheeks grew red and she knew the other girls were all surprised by how easily she and Carly were getting along. "I guess I should do it more often, then," she shrugged, smirking when she saw Eya's mouth 'oh my god' to Ivy out of the corner of her eye.

"Yes, you're welcome," Carly smiled with a mouthful of her banana. Deanna giggled, which caused Carly to smile even wider.

*****

"What's for dinner?" Eya strolled into the kitchen, pretending like she hadn't just watched the entire encounter between Deanna and Carly. Deanna shrugged and started putting the groceries away.

"This is dinner," Carly announced, holding up a box of mac and cheese for Eya to see.

"Good choice, Carly," Eya laughed, holding out her fist in front of Carly. The smaller girl stared at it questioningly. "You're supposed to bump it with your fist, like this," Eya laughed, holding her fist out to Deanna, who returned the gesture.

"Oh," Carly nodded, bumping both of her fists together. Deanna and Eya laughed, and Eya shook her head.

"No, bump my fist," she explained, holding her fist out in front of Carly. Carly nodded once and held out her fist to bump Eya's. Once she did, Eya pulled her fist back and made an exploding noise with her mouth. Carly giggled excitedly and then did the same.

"Make your girl her dinner, Deans," Eya teased, tossing the box of macaroni and cheese to Deanna. Deanna just shrugged then grabbed the pot and filling it with water. She set the pot on the stove to boil.

Ivy and Riri both got up to join them in the kitchen. Carly engaged them in an animated conversation about her banana. Deanna stood back and watched, realizing the effect Carly had on people. Carly's smile was contagious.