CHAPTER-12

Before Deanna could respond, the bedroom door burst open, causing the older girl to immediately scramble away from Carly. Unfortunately, this caused her to fall backwards onto the floor, groaning in annoyance.

"Dinner's ready," Eya smirked from the door. Deanna glared at her, only to earn a wink from Eya. At the mention of dinner, Carly clapped her hands excitedly. Without another word, the small girl hopped out of bed and shuffled down the hallway.

Eya walked over, extending a hand to Deanna to help the older girl off the floor. Shooting her roommate an annoyed glare, Deanna accepted the help and brushed off her pants once she got to her feet. Carly was already long gone. Eya held out her hand for Deanna to wait before they went downstairs.

"What did I interrupt? Are you about to kis--"

"Nothing! " Deanna snapped, shaking her head. "What are you even talking about?"

Eya sighed, crossing her arms and giving Deanna a knowing look.

"What?" Deanna huffed.

"Obviously something's going on between you two," Eya nodded in the direction Carly had gone. "It's pretty obvious."

Deanna's face faltered for a moment but she quickly composed herself. "There's nothing going on," she said firmly, nodding once before walking past Eya and out of the room.

"If you say so," Eya sighed. She followed Deanna down the stairs, but grabbed her hand before they reached a kitchen. "But if there was something going on, I'd make sure to tell you to be careful," she whispered.

Deanna's stomach dropped, and she turned to face Eya. "Well good thing there isn't anything going on, then," she said simply before disappearing in the direction of the kitchen. Eya sighed at her friend's stubbornness.

"Didi, look!" Carly hopped in front of Deanna and held up a yellow bowl of mac and cheese. Deanna raised an eyebrow at Eya, who only shrugged.

"It was all we had," Ivy passed Deanna her own bowl over the counter. The older girl sighed, grabbing a fork and following her roommates into the living room. Before Carly had shown up, the four roommates usually ate dinner at separate times in separate places. Now, they all ate together. Deanna hadn't realized how much she'd missed spending time with them.

As usual, Eya, Ivy, and Riri all took up the couches, purposely leaving no room for Deanna. Not that she minded, though. The older girl sat down on the floor a few feet away from Carly, who smiled widely at her with a mouthful of food.

"Someone's in a better mood," Ivy commented, nodding towards Carly. Eya and Riri both nodded in agreement.

"It's because Deanna's home," Eya smirked. Deanna glared at her, but it obviously didn't affect the younger girl. "It's pretty obvious how much Carly loves Deanna."

"Yes," Carly nodded once, as if she were confirming what Eya had said. "I love Didi. I want to kiss Didi" she said casually, taking another bite of her food. Deanna, however, nearly choked on her own food. She looked to her roommates, who looked just as shocked.

"What did you say, Carly?" Eya glanced at the other girl. Carly looked up and tilted her head to the side.

"What?"

Sighing, Eya send Deanna a look of confusion, which the older girl quickly returned. Deanna's heart was pounding against her chest, and she swore everyone in the room was able to hear it. Had Carly really just said that? She couldn't have. Deanna looked over at the younger girl, who was happily eating her dinner.

Quietly, Deanna took her bowl to the sink. Without another word, she slipped upstairs and closed herself into her bedroom. As soon as she was alone, she ran her hands through her hair and began pacing back and forth.