CHAPTER-25

"Didi, look at the sky," Carly prodded the other girl's side, trying to wake her up. Deanna groaned and rolled over. This only encouraged the younger girl. She crawled on top of Deanna so one leg was on each side of her torso.

"Wake up," Carly giggled, poking Deanna's cheek and pointing to the window. "You are going to miss it, Didi."

"Miss what?" Deanna's raspy morning voice finally filled the silence. She opened her eyes to come face to face with a smiling Carly, already attempting to make her sit up. Deanna groaned, but allowed herself to be pulled upwards.

"The sky," Carly turned Deanna's head and pointed to the window. "It is pretty. Like you. We have to appreciate it, right?" She turned back to the other girl and tilted her head to the side.

Despite having just woken up, Deanna managed a soft smile. She wiped her eyes and sat cross legged, gazing out the window for a few moments.

"I guess it is pretty beautiful, huh?" she laughed softly. Carly nodded, crawling over to Deanna's side and leaning against her shoulder.

"Why don't we go get a better view of it, then?" Deanna smiled softly and stood up. Carly watched her, confused, as Deanna dug through her drawers. The older girl handed Carly a pair of leggings and a sweater. Carly tilted her head to the side.

"Go get dressed and let's go watch the sunrise," Deanna nudged her towards the door. Carly's face lit up and she nodded excitedly, scurrying across the hallway and into the bathroom. Deanna quickly got changed into jeans and a hoodie, pulling a beanie on over her tousled morning hair.

"Knock knock," Carly giggled, standing in the doorway. Deanna crinkled her nose and slipped into her boots before leading Carly out of the bedroom.

"I have a surprise for you too remembered". She pointed to Carly's converse, signaling for the girl to put them on.

"Surprise?" Carly sat down and tugged on her shoes. She eyed the laces questioningly and then looked up at Deanna

Bending down, Deanna giggled as she began to tie Carly's shoes. "Yeah, a surprise. It's at the park," she double knotted the laces and then helped Carly up to her feet. "C'mon, you'll like it."

"I like you," Carly smiled proudly, grabbing the doorknob. She surprised Deanna by turning around and placing her hands on her shoulders. "There are oceans in your eyes, Didi. I see them."

Deanna's breath caught in her throat when Carly locked eyes with hers. This girl had a way of evoking the deepest emotions out of her. For someone so innocent, Carly certainly knew what she was doing.

Both girls leaned in at the same time. Deanna wrapped her hands around Carly's waist and pulled her closer. She felt the smaller girl smile against her lips. It was soft, it was sweet, it was gentle. But it was perfect nonetheless.

When the kiss broke, Carly smiled widely. "I want to see the surprise," she looked hopefully up at Deanna, who was still recovering from the kiss. Deanna could have sworn that Carly could hear her heart pounding against her chest.

"I, yeah, the surprise," Deanna cleared her throat. "C'mon, let's go to the park."

Carly smiled excitedly and grabbed onto Deanna's hand, tugging her towards the door. Giggling, Deanna followed the small girl, making sure to lock the apartment door behind them.

"Slow down, Carly," she laughed, squeezing Carly's hand and slowing her to a walking pace. "It's not going anywhere."

"What is it?" Carly asked as they stepped onto the elevator. Deanna grabbed Carly's hand just as she was about to push the wrong button on the elevator.