Chapter 4: "why are you two behaving strange?"

After we called it a night. I asked if she'd like to meet my younger brother and spend the night at my home.
She agreed and we went to my home.
When I reached there, I saw a note on the kitchen counter that read

"I'll be spending the night at one of my friends. I'll come back tomorrow by noon
            - Caleb"

I told this to Hazel and asked if she'd like to come over tomorrow as well after our office hours and she agreed.

We had a spare room that we called the guest room but there were never any guests over so.... Yeah
I told her that she can use that room without any hesitation and can change into some comfy clothes.
She went to her car , opened up the car trunk with a paper bag that said "emergency clothes". I had a blank expression looking at that bag but we laughed it off. She freshened up and changed into her comfy clothes. We talked until we felt sleepy then wished each other a good night and went to sleep.

The next morning, I made her breakfast and we went to the office together, did our jobs and then left the office together.
We decided on going to Hazel's apartment first as she had some things to pick up from there.
We took her stuff and went to my house next.
When we reached home, I saw Caleb turned around towards the kitchen counter, his back facing us.

"Caleb!! Look who's here" I said

"Probably not your girlfriend cause you ain't got one" Caleb said sarcastically, still turned around

"Well then meet Hazel, my girlfriend" I said

Caleb turned around with the speed of light with a terrified facial expression.
I got a bit startled and then looked towards Hazel. Her expressions were as blank as Caleb.
"Uhh hey... Caleb" She said

I asked "do you guys know each other? Y'all seem to be knowing each other"

"Uhhh no. No no we don't know each other we're just meeting now, isn't that right Caleb?" Hazel said

"Mmhmm yeah she's right.. We- we just met now" Caleb said stuttering a bit.

I expected them to get along well and at least talk to each other cause Caleb is a curious guy. He'd ask anyone about them if they're new to him. But that day, Caleb did not say a word and Hazel, a bright person, didn't smile or laugh even a bit.

I started to think that maybe there was something wrong. Maybe they really know each other already or is it just all in my head? I couldn't decide what to think or say to either of them.
So I just said "come on you guys, let's have dinner. It's getting late"

They came to the dinner table.
While I was serving dinner at the kitchen counter, I heard some whispering. I knew it was Caleb and Hazel but I thought it's nice that they're talking to each other however , I never asked them what they were talking about at that time.

We had our dinner and went straight to bed.
The next day, Caleb and Hazel woke up before me and were at the dining table having dinner and were talking about something but it was inaudible to me again.
We had our breakfast and all three of us went on our own jobs. 

a few days later, I invited Hazel over again but this time she said she had to do overtime so she won't be able to come over. I convinced her again she said that she can come over the next day so I agreed to this. 

The day she came over didn't seem to be much different than last time. It felt like our vibes didn't match anymore. I gathered all the courage I could and asked both of them, "why are you two acting strange? you only behave like this when all three of us are together"  

" oh it's nothing. maybe it'll take some time for us to be comfortable around each other" Hazel said. Caleb did agree to her but looked a bit hesitant. I ignored it and we decided on a movie night that went quite...blank. there were no giggles or words from Hazel and Caleb when both of them are the kind of people to get along really well.

***Continued to chapter 5***