That Damn Scent

CAIRO

               She was a brave little thing, I'll give her that.

  What was she, 5'7? She acted as if she was a living breathing bulldozer, even though I'd towered over her generously. I growl as I continue to throw punches at the steel wall, an effort to calm myself down.

              It's been a day, and I still couldn't stop thinking about that curly blonde hair or her vanilla scent. Maliciously or no, this was a bad thing. The way I'd sunken my teeth into her should've scared her off, yet, I could sense her giving me little glances as if she could care less about the damage.

         With a snarl I punch with my right fist, denting it in as the others around me pause to take in the damage. They'd only managed small dents, but I'd made it look like crushing a soda can.
   Someone whistled as I rolled my shoulders, eyeing my handy work.

       "That's that alpha bloodline." They called out with a cheer as I glanced their way. Maurice. Ofcourse, it's always him. He clasps me on the shoulder with a grin, his sweaty skin glinting in the sunlight. 

         "I see you've been putting in work as well." I comment, glancing behind him to find those beautiful doe eyes of hers glancing back at me. I quickly avert my eyes, clearing my throat as I look back at Maurice.

          "What have we got planned on the schedule?" I start to walk toward the weapons rack as he trails behind me, eyes monitoring every step. I scan the swords, looking for the bronze beauty I'd become familiar with.

         "You know you can talk to her, right? That's what normal guys do." Maurice drawls out, like always. I grunt in response as he sighs.
        "You know," he steps in closer and whispers. "Myra."

         I glance at him, unbothered.

      "The fact that you bother to whisper when you know everyone in this camp can hear you from a ten mile radius is beyond me." I say, finally finding my sword. It's golden hilt gleams up at me, but it's the bronze blade itself that always catches my attention.
        "And yes I know. It is the fact that I don't want to speak to her that you've seemed to skip over, runt." I say, gritting my teeth as I feel the amusement radiate off of him in waves.

        "If you say so, roro." He says in a singsong voice as I grimace.

         "Stop calling me that."

      "I wonder how Myra would feel if she heard that nickname." He wiggles his brows.

          "Who?"

       "Hey myrrrr—" he's cute off by my hand cutting off his oxygen, I tighten my hand onto his throat and grin, letting my wolf side show. I lean in close to whisper as I can hear choking sounds coming from him, he toes barely touching the ground.

            "If you so much as breathe that name around her..." I say as my eyes flash, irritation filling every corner of my being.
            I hear Maurice snicker amidst the choking and I sigh.

            "I knew it." He manages to push the words out and I drop him back onto his feet.
He rubs at his throat with a sneaky grin.

           "You know nothing." I say, grabbing my sword and managing to walk a couple steps in front of him before his next steps stop me cold in my tracks.

            "Well then, I guess you wouldn't mind if I bedded her. Maybe even marked her for myself... if she's willing of course." He says nonchalantly.
       Something in his words causes my eyebrow to twitch, and I find myself growing a headache. I open my mouth to say something— but before I can, something small and furry darts behind my legs.

           I turn to take a look, and find a small white pup cowering by my legs. Her small brown eyes glance up at me as she wines, and I find myself smiling absentmindedly.

           "Now, who do we have here?" I crouch down to eye level as she playfully growls at me.

"Looks like somebody grew taller." I comment as she rolls over, her tongue lolling out of her mouth in a goofy way as she huffs out of breath from running; I knew her mother had to be close by.

"Kiba!" Laurie runs into the training camps, her eyes frantically searching for her lost pup. I stand up as Laurie's eyes reach us and I find myself saying, "This is a new record for her.".
I can see her calming down significantly, relief oozing out of her in waves.

"Alpha Cairo." She bows her head slightly in submission and I nod at her in acknowledgment.

"How are you Laur?" I say, a small smile gracing my features as she hauls Kiba's wolf pup body into her arms.

"I'd be better if my little scout" a pointed look toward Kiba's sneaky eyes, "didn't keep running away to be with the warriors." She sighs contentedly as Kiba licks her mother's face apologetically.

          "Her wolf can sense her calling early, that's a powerful thing." I compliment as Kiba gives me a wolffish grin at the compliment.
"As any niece of mine will be." I wink at Kiba as Laurie grins at me.

"Yes she will be, if she can just keep her butt out of the training camps until age twelve, I'll thank the heavens." She laughs as she turns to drag Kiba back home. I nod in farewell as she stares up at me with her big pup eyes, hoping I'd take pity and let her train. I chuckle at her eagerness as I glance at Maurice.

"Don't think I've forgotten what you've said, jack ass." I mutter to him, still grinning and giving a small wave to Kiba and Laurie. Kiba's ears twitch, trying to listen in on us, but no luck, she slumps her head on her mother's shoulder.

"Hmm? Something the matter, alpha Cairo?" Maurice taunts as I shoot a glare at him, my wolf practically forcing his way to the surface to put a male in his place.

We pause our back and fourth banter as we hear footsteps approach us.

And then, that damn vanilla scent again.