Five

That night, as she went home just in time for dinner in the Imperial hall, she scratched at her head for the millionth time. She seemed to have forgotten something but she couldn't tell what. Ah, whatever. She'd just eat her fill and go to her parents for their gifting.

When she did get there, only Airese was present in the wing, holding a box wrapped in a shiny piece of cloth. What in Umazure was in that box? "Hey, Mom," Xanthy planted a kiss on her mother's cheek as she settled beside her on the cushions. "Where's Dad?"

"He said he's going to be running late," Airese was smiling even though she should be sad at a time like this.

Xanthy narrowed her eyes. "Did he say why?" she said. "It's a special day for us. Why would he be late?"

Airese was definitely smiling now. "Who knows?" she shrugged. "Perhaps his work has called him? Or he had run into a little accident regarding our gifts? The possibilities are endless."

"You're not thoroughly upset about it," Xanthy said.

"Why would I be?" Airese said before passing Xanthy the box. "Here. Open it when Eldan comes. I'm sure you'll like it."

Xanthy fished her mother's gift from the pocket of her trousers. "And here's yours," she offered Airese the bundle. "I spent a while trying to come up with the perfect one for you."

Airese cooed. "Have you managed to tackle the dangerous streets without me? Oh, I should have come with you."

"Seriously, Mom. I'm fine," Xanthy said.

"And did you wear those trousers out?" Airese gasped. "Oh, the people who could have seen you!"

Xanthy groaned. Not this again. "I was trying to be discreet, Mom!" she laid a finger to her lips. "The dresses certainly won't help."

"But you're recognized anyway, am I correct?"

Xanthy rubbed her face with. "Yeah."

"What is going on with your hair?" Airese yanked off the bandanna Xanthy tied around her head and ran her fingers down the khaki strands. "Come here and let me fix it."

Xanthy sighed. Well, she hasn't got much of a choice now, has she? "Yes, Mom."

She turned her back to her mother and Airese spent the next few minutes braiding her lengthening hair. Perhaps, she should just be like Reeca and cut her hair short. That way, Airese wouldn't pester her so much about it. Well...that's a decision to be made on another day.

A few minutes later, Eldan arrived and they finally began their small ceremony. The low light of the candles flickering inside the room made it feel like they're in a cave. With the heavy, velvet curtains drawn over the floor-to-ceiling view of the night sky beyond, it set an intimate atmosphere. It's like nobody but the three of them were allowed to enjoy this moment. It's...comforting—something Xanthy hasn't felt in a long, long time.

"Did I mention I love the both of you already?" Xanthy tucked herself beneath her father's arm and laid her head against his shoulder. "Because I do. Very much."

Eldan planted a kiss on her forehead as Airese joined in on their little hug. "We do as well, darling," he said softly, staring at the flickering fire in the fireplace beyond them. "We do as well."

Xanthy closed her eyes, basking in the warmth of the people who would do anything for her come what may and the fire slowly dimmed from her vision. She was forgetting something but perhaps, now wasn't the time to think about that. Right now, this...this was enough. More than, even.

 More than, even