Chapter two

Getting back to the house, Alex saw Norman laying on a stretcher, an oxygen mask on his mouth, eyes shut, breathing deeply. He wanted nothing but to kick him over and over in the rib cage until he fell to the floor, collapsing like a total mess. But he won't do it, he had manners. Furthermore, the kid was Norma's and he won't do anything that could possibly hurt her without an intention of protection. He would be lying if he said he didn't want to harm him. He wanted more than that, he wanted to cause him pain, to make him suffer so much he will implore his pardon or his mercy, begging on his knees, screaming his name with burning tears in his eyes and falling on his cheeks.

But he stopped himself from thinking that way, he worthed more than that. Plus, if he couldn't care less right now about the fact that Norman, indeed, was sick, mentally confused, unhinged; he had to be completely honest with himself, he knew that Norman wasn't responsible of his actions. However, at this moment, he didn't want to realize that, he needed to be mad at him and knew deep down that his anger and hatred toward the boy will never end, because he was so close to destroy his life, a few seconds close. And because of that, he will never forgive him and will never trust him anymore around Norma, whatever she can say.

Alex, as most of the people of this world, really liked to be right, he adored to hear the words "you were right" or "I should have listened to you". However, when Norma had told him he was wrong about Norman being dangerous, he really hoped she was right, he wished more than anything that he was wrong, probably for the first time in his whole life. And here he was, confronted to the reality that his stepson, after all, was a danger for the others, also to his own mother he almost killed.

"Sheriff?" Detective Chambers took him back to reality. "Please, have a seat".

Alex did as he was told and sat down on a chair in the living room, room where, not to long ago, Norma and him were laughing so loudly because of one of his awful jokes. Things were so different now. But regardless of everything, Alex was grateful, his beloved wife was alive, and for him, that's all that matter.

"Here, seems that your wife wrote that to you, before trying to commit suicide" she said, giving him an envelope carrying his name.

Alex recognized too well Norma's hand on it. He opened it and found with sadness her ring, her wedding ring, the ring that used to belong to his mother, the ring he had given her on their wedding day, the same ring she had claimed she loved so much after their first and perfect night together. He saw something else was in it and discovered a simple letter.

Dear Alex,

I will always love you, no matter what

I'm truly sorry

Love,

Norma

His heart soared as he spotted a fresh corner on the piece of paper, he knew she had been crying while writing this. He felt so guilty, she had written it all because of him, because he, unconsciously, forced her to choose between him and her son. He felt like a total scumbag, he had provoked all of this, everything was his fault.

"I want to clarify the situation with you, Detective. My wife didn't try to commit suicide. Everything is Norman's fault, he did it" Alex spoke, calmly yet sternly.

"How do you know that?" she asked, confused.

"Because Norman is sick, mentally. Moreover, Norma has another son, she won't have let him, no matter how sad she could have been. My wife had gone through a lot in her life, our fight wouldn't have ever been a reason for her to do so. She's an incredibly strong woman".

"So, basically, you think the kid tried to kill his mom" she wanted a confirmation.

"No, I don't think so, that's what happened. Make DNA tests on the vents and on the old furnace, you'll see" he spatted.