Chapter nine

She didn't feel well, she didn't want to do this, but she didn't have any other choice. She took a deep breath and repeated herself that everything would be fine. Her hand took the form of a fist and she knocked softly on the door. She had been lucky her gate was open. Now, she hoped she will let her in. Her palms were sweaty, and her legs shaking. She will make a fool of herself, she knew it. She's going to humiliate herself, but she didn't have another way out of this mess that Rebecca bitch had put Alex into.

The door opened, revealing a very surprised Christine. She wouldn't have thought Norma Bates would come back to her on day, after what she had done. Okay, technically, she hadn't done anything, just rejected her brother. But Christine was overprotective over George, like he was her own son. She hadn't liked the way his relationship with Norma had ended. They would been perfect together! They were both smart, sophisticated, beautiful.

But no, she had to choose another man, and Alex Romero to top it all! Of course, the Sheriff was an attractive man and he made every single person in this town feel safe. But... but... No, to be fair, Christine could understand Norma's choice, she had to. And... they looked good together, she had to admit it.

"Norma Bates" she stated, waiting for her reaction.

"Hello Christine... may I come in?" Norma asked shyly.

The redhead didn't answer, she just opened the door wider for her to enter her loft. Norma gave her a weak smile and made her way inside her ex-friend's house. She felt so nervous. Yet, it felt good to see her again. She had missed her cheerfulness and her kindness. Except for her, Alex had been her only friend in town and she had regretted losing her.

As for Christine, she was curious. She hadn't liked what Norma had done. How she had behaved. But she had often found herself driving by the Bates motel, wanting to know how the crazy, beautiful and sweet motel owner was doing. She had never entered her motel office nor her house though, feeling too proud to make Norma believe she could dump her brother like that and getting away too easily. Most of it, she hadn't wanted to hurt George's feelings by getting along with the woman who had rejected him. The woman he had truly liked, and was still liking.

Christine invited Norma to sit down on an armchair and sat in front of her, eager to know what was going on.

"So... what made you walk all the way here... to me? I'm pretty sure it's important" she began, a frown on her eyebrows.

"Well... hm, I'm sorry to barge into your house like this, um, but I really need to ask you something... it-it's very important..." she confessed, playing nervously with her fingers, avoiding eye contact with the owner. After a few seconds of silence, she went on "I know I'm not in position to ask you anything, but my hands are tied. I wouldn't have come if it wasn't urgent. And-and it's not for me..."

"Is that for the Sheriff? You want him out of jail?" Christine asked, knowing full well she was here for that. Because she knew her brother was an excellent lawyer and that she needed his help to gain her husband's liberation. And she needed HER help to persuade George to do it.

"Yea..." Norma said, close to tears.

"So... basically, you want my brother, who has feelings for you, to help you to free your husband, the man that "steal" you from him. And it doesn't affect you to know that? It doesn't affect you to know that it will hurt him a lot" she said, feeling exasperated by her attitude.

"Okay, it was a bad idea, I knew I shouldn't have come" the blonde said, moving her hand and grabbing her purse, ready to leave. She wouldn't let Christine humiliate her nor make her beg for her help. She had suffered enough humiliations in her life.

"Wait here a minute Norma Bates" Christine claimed, standing up too.

"Romero! Norma Romero! This is my name! Get this through your fucking head!" she screamed, her eyes red from anger, lack of sleep and sadness, a really bad combination.