chapter nine

[blind faith]

Putting on the handcuffs was not the easiest thing since it ties you directly to the rope itself, but you and Ali took the last spot as being the players who can possibly held their own and to everyone's surprise, Gi-hun was in the front and offered to act as a leader. 

Seeing the other team take their place and doesn't hesitate to display their delight since they thought they could easily win this one made you confirm that they don't indeed have the brains to back up their brute strength. 

You didn't bother to say any word to Ali and the others as to not raise suspicion to the enemy team that you could possibly be their leader all along, and somehow that doesn't sound good enough for you. 

''That person is closest to the leader of the opposition, and the rest of the team looks at the back of their leader. If the leader seems weak or dispirited, the game is already over.'' 

You were thankful that Il-nam took the initiative to explain the plan though the first ten seconds of the game can decide the outcome. Loosing your grip on the rope can put your teammates in danger or even stumbling on your footsteps and not having enough friction on the floor can send you to your death. 

However, one thing is for sure, this platform is designed to kill the players. 

Taking an alternate method where five players are on the right and the other five are on the left, it all comes down to Ali on holding the rope since he is the strongest one out of all of you, physically. 

''That blade is sharp.'' You whispered to yourself before locking the rope behind your arms and taking the position that could ensure your win. 

Fortunately, this isn't just about sheer strength. It affects your mentality as well. 

When the staff signals for the game to start, the opposing team was a bit stronger than all of you but the flag barely moved from the center of where the blade is. The floor isn't helping either since the shoes have barely enough friction to stop yourself from slipping to the edge of the platform.

You looked over to the opposite side and saw that a guard wearing a triangle mask isn't holding a gun or any type of weapon which was quite bizarre considering the fact that they're the ones who are obligated to wield such weapons.

"Oh—shit!" A harsh tug from the rope snapped you out of your thoughts as your teammates are now already slipping forward. The opposing team notice the loss of footing and they immediately began pulling the rope to their side as the force is tugging all of you towards the edge of the platform.

''Do something! God damn it!'' Player 212 yelled.

You noticed that Sang-woo almost lost it when she kept yelling at him to do something but instead of doing that he told everyone, ''Pull yourself together and listen up! When I give the sign,  just take three steps forward!''

''Go forward? Are you crazy?'' Mi-nyeo replied to him which made you snap. 

''Either do that or your brains will be smashed down there! Pick one bitch!'' 

''We have to make them trip.''

''That's bullshit!''

Gi-hun then yelled out of nowhere, ''Let's give it a shot!''

''No! I can't do it!''

''If you can't, you'll die!''

'Someone who has a common sense.' you thought to yourself as you began to feel the ropes slipping from your hand. Ali can't seemed to keep it for much and that's the same for everyone else. 

''On the count of three! One! Two! Three!'' 

Everyone kept pulling the rope on your side and didn't even think twice on letting the other team fall on their death. You knew that this is more than enough as the flag was already across the guillotine but nobody seemed to stop the game. You turned to the cameras at behind you and mouthed, 'Cut it.'

Even though you were expecting the game to stop but you still fell on the ground beneath you as the wave of exhaustion came crashing down on your body. You've never felt more tired in your life but instead of being annoyed by such thing, you couldn't help the laughter escaping from your lips. 

You knew that the third time's is definitely a charm and that is true when entering this game. 

.....

The elevator ride was filled with silence. You noticed that everyone seemed to be reflecting on their actions earlier and finally realized what they had done. It was quiet except for that one person who is sitting and praying.

''Who are you praying to? To god?'' Ji-Yeong commented, ''You're still breathing and moving that tongue of yours thanks to that old man.'' She looked over to where player 001 is and continued speaking, ''And that guy over there who came up with an awesome last minute trick. So if you're going to thank anyone, thank them.''

The man stopped praying then looked at her, ''You poor lost sheep. Can't you hear the cries of those who were nailed to the cross today? We lived to see another day thanks to their blood and sacrifice. On behalf of all us sinners, I gave thanks to the lord's decision of their sacrifice and said a prayer.''

''Bullshit. You killed them yourself.'' Upon seeing the man's reaction, she then had an idea, ''Do we all go to heaven if we say a few prayers? Shit, then I have to pray too.'' Clasping her hands together, she began praying, ''Heavenly father, we worked together as a team today to send many people to your side. Please help us send more people to your side from now on-''

''Be quiet.'' Sae-byeok said.

''Me?'' Player 240 asked, ''Or him?''

''Both of you.''

The elevator finally stopped and all of you followed the triangle masked guard who is leading you back to the room. You were right behind him and whispered, ''Tell him that there's a breach somewhere. Don't know where but no.29 seemed to be acting weird. Find them.''

He only continued walking which made you wonder if he even knew or understood what you're talking about. You have a feeling that the reason why they won't take you seriously is because you're a player, and this is a game.

A chance for everyone to play fairly. That's what this place is.