Chapter 9

The bell dismissing us for lunch rang out soon enough. Unfortunately, I still couldn't get my mind off of what was going on with my quirk. The risks were far too high for this to just be ignored, but I had no clue what I should even do about it. I was so distracted by my own thoughts, I didn't notice Mina and Ochako standing in front of my desk and trying to get my attention.

"ASAMI! HELLO?" I suddenly noticed Mina shouting in my face, making me jump. "You good? You completely zoned out there," she questioned once she noticed she finally got my attention.

"Are you still not feeling alright?" Ochako asked worriedly.

"I was just thinking is all," I replied.

"About what? You literally went deaf for a second," Mina pestered, making me chuckle.

"It's nothing," I reassured, still preoccupied with my thoughts. I didn't hear if they said anything else. I couldn't seem to shake the bad feeling I had about what was going on with my quirk. The more I thought about it, the worse the feeling became. "Midoriya?" I asked, briskly walking over to his desk, making him jump. "May I speak to you? In private?"

For some reason, everyone else in the room seemed to stop in their tracks. All of the distant chattering ceased and the looming silence made me tense in discomfort. As I looked up to meet Midoriya's gaze, I somehow became even tenser. His eyes were wide and his face was flushed with a slight tint of green as if he was going to throw up or as if he just dropped dead. "O-o-of course!" he managed to get out as his voice cracked, slowly picking up his bag and standing up from his chair.

I only nodded in response and began walking over to the back staircase that led to the roof with Midoriya trailing behind me nervously. As we continued down the hall and up through the stairwell, I noticed Midoriya's energy relax behind me. I could feel his eyes analyzing the back of my head as I stared down, counting every step we went up. 

Finally, we made it up to the fire escape door that led to the roof. Not wanting to set off the fire alarms, I opened the large window beside it and proceeded to climb out and onto the cement. Turning around, I noticed Midoriya staring at me with wide eyes again, but these almost seemed fearful. "A-a-are w-we allowed u-up here?" he asked, receiving only a shrug in response as I held out my hand to help him through.

"I don't know if the door will set off the fire alarm is all," I stated bluntly as I helped him through the window, catching him before he fell on his face and ate shit.

"S-so, w-what did you w-want to talk about?" he asked in a weird, high pitched voice.

Brushing off the puberty regression, I took a seat on the cement facing the skyline over the city and took out my bento box for lunch, obviously stalling. In my own defense, how exactly do you casually say 'hey my quirk wants to kill you'. To make the situation more uncomfortable, Midoriya continued to act extremely cautious of me, choosing to sit six feet away with his knees to his chest, almost as if he was terrified of me. Although the pit in my stomach began to grow, I did my best to ignore the nauseating sensation. "What's your quirk?" Looking up from my lap, I saw that Midoriya had gone completely white, obviously uncomfortable with the question. "I know it manifested late so I understand if you're not completely sure yet, but that's why I wanted to talk in private," I explained. I noticed him relax a little, but I could tell that his guard remained up.

"W-what did y-you want to k-know about it?" he asked timidly.

"For some reason, my quirk reacts very strongly to yours," I began to explain, picking my words carefully so that I didn't completely terrify him. "When you activate it, its like both Kitsune and I lose complete control of our quirk. The first time it happened, we wrote it off as just an adrenaline induced reaction to being exposed to power like yours for the first time," I continued, clenching my fists gradually and watching them become white, "but then it happened again during the battle training. If it was just an instinctual response, it doesn't make sense that my quirk would react to a scenario I'm watching, to circumstances I've experienced, and in an emotionally neutral environment." Looking up, I noticed that Midoriya seemed to have inched closer and his body had relaxed significantly. I could tell he was listening analytically and doing his best to take in all of the information I was spewing.