Chapter 10

"THERE YOU ARE!" I heard Mina scream from behind me as I walked down the hall and back to our classroom. Hearing her footsteps running after me, I stopped to wait for her, turning to see the suspicious look she was giving me. "Why didn't you come to lunch?! And is it true you confessed to Midoriya?! YOU NEED TO TELL ME THESE THINGS!"

"Wait-hold on-back up," I stuttered out. "What exactly would I be confessing?"

"YOUR LOVE!" she exclaimed dramatically.

"Why the fuck would I be confessing my love to Midoriya on my second day of school," I asked, completely dumbfounded by the accusation.

"You asked to talk to him in private!" she exclaimed, as if that was the only viable reason for such a request.

"Jesus Christ, no," I groaned, rubbing my temples in an attempt to prevent the headache I could feel coming on, realizing that's probably why the rest of the class was looking at me weird. "My quirk doesn't react well to his so I just wanted to talk to him about it," I explained.

"Oh," Mina said, obviously dissatisfied with that reasoning. "Well, that's not as fun. And what do you mean your quirk doesn't react well to his?"

"For some reason I lose control of my quirk any time he activates his near me," I replied. "That's why I ended up passing out yesterday, the short time I lost control drained half my energy," I finished, looking over at her, muffling a laugh as her face scrunched up as she began thinking way too hard about it. "Besides, I thought we already agreed that he's Ochako's," I joked, pushing her forehead in an attempt to regain her attention before her brain explodes.

"WE NEED TO GET HER TO CONFESS," she declared loudly, making me laugh.

"You sure do change your ships quickly," I teased as we continued on down the hall.

"I have no clue what you're talking about," she deadpanned, making me laugh yet again as we got to the classroom door. 

Opening it, I immediately noticed my dad on the floor in his sleeping bag. Out of habit, I walked up to where he was laying and crouched down next to his head, giving his forehead a gentle flick to wake him up. "Well good morning," I mumbled as he glared at me.

"Give me one good reason why I shouldn't kill you," he grumbled back.

"How about I give you one hundred reasons why you should," I negotiated, making him roll his eyes as he lazily crawled out of his sleeping bag. As he did, the bell rang signaling the beginning of class. "You're welcome," I said as I stood up and walked over to my seat to sit down, watching as he groggily moved to stand behind his podium.

"Shut up," he announced, causing the entire classroom to go dead silent. "Today we'll be working on hand to hand combat, no quirks. I paired everyone up with a sparring partner with the opposite fighting style and according to general proficiency. If I'm satisfied with your training, we'll hold a tournament toward the end of the day. Now go change," he finished, dismissing us to the locker rooms to get in our PE uniforms. "Asami," he stopped me as I got up from my desk to go change. "Today you're only allowed to practice pressure point focused combat. Good luck with that," he said with a devious smirk, obviously trying to get back at me for waking him up.

"You're a big baby you know that?" I mumbled as I grabbed my bag and left the classroom. I couldn't help but smile as I noticed Mina and Ochako waiting for me in the hallway.

"What did Mr. Aizawa need?" Ochako asked.

"He's mad I woke him up so now I can only fight by hitting my opponent's pressure points," I sighed. Knowing him, he picked this limitation knowing it will be a pain in the ass to do with the person I'll be sparring and without my quirk.

"Woah! You know how to do that?" Mina exclaimed.

"Kind of. It's easy with my quirk since I can see any concentrations of energy in a person's body but quirkless it'll be annoying," I explained. 

"Do you think you can teach me how to do that?" Ochako asked as we walked into the locker room. 

"Sure, no problem," I replied with a smile.

"Do you think he'll pair us up against the boys?" Mina asked as we began changing, getting the rest of the girl's attention.

"Why wouldn't he?" I asked.

"Emi has a point. We will be expected to fight both boys and girls as heroes," Tsu pointed out as I nodded in agreement.

"But the boys will obviously be stronger!" Hagakure groaned dramatically.

"Hand-to-hand combat is more than just strength," I stated bluntly, causing Mina to give me a gentle shove for my indifference. 

"Play nice," she scolded, making me realize how rude I must have sounded.

"What I mean is that hand-to-hand combat is more about finding your opponent's weaknesses than it is about brute strength. For example, if a guy is huge and super strong but his fighting stance sucks, knocking him off balance will give you the upper hand," I explained, earning an approving nod from Mina.

"Do you study martial arts Emi?" Momo asked.

"Kinda?" I replied with a shrug as I finished changing and hanging up my school uniform neatly in my locker. "I guess you could say that."

"You're so enthusiastic," Mina said sarcastically, making me and everyone else laugh.

"Thanks, I get it from my dad," I shot back, making Ochako and Mina crack up. 

"I don't get it!" Hagakure complained. "What's so funny?! Is her dad a loaf or something?"

Unfortunately for her, her guess only made Ochako and Mina laugh harder as we began walking over to the training room. 

"A LOAF," Mina gasped as her and Ochako held onto each other as they stumbled down the hall. 

"You guys are too much," I chuckled beside them, watching on as the hysterics slowly died down. 

"Why is that so accurate?" Mina said as she wiped tears from her eyes as we entered the gym. 

"Alright," my dad announced, immediately getting everyone's attention. When I call you and your partner, go to your own part of the gym and begin sparring."