Daisy

Flashback

Rain, why did it have to rain? Daina was not one to like water a lot. Especially when she had to drive for hours in the rain and could hardly see anything. The wooded areas didn't help ease her anxiety surrounding the weather, as at any point, an animal could jump out and cause a crash.

Diana had been driving for hours now amongst the wooded areas, crossing some towns on her way but not many. What was she doing all the way out here? Was going to Oak Ridge a good decision after all? Was it worth it?

Part of her was really doubting if it would be a good move. She would long for her family in the big city after all, though their corporate lifestyle was something she wouldn't miss. Something about having lawyers for everything and owning a multi-million oil company didn't sit well with Diana.

But hey, that's the charm of heading out on her own to a small forest town to build her own career there as a detective. Besides, most things were already provided for her, like a house on the edge of town.

Finally, after her long drive, she saw a sign that read the town name "Welcome to Oak Ridge..." Diana mumbled to herself as she read it, mentally preparing for what lay ahead. Her eyes scanned the area the moment she hit civilization, her stop for the day it would seem.

At first glance, the town looked to be quite dull and boring, most houses were painted white and well there wasn't much fancy around there. She passed a quarry, which was probably where most people in town worked. And as she made her way deeper into town, she also noticed a large bridge hanging over a river on the east edge of town. It probably lead towards another set of towns.

Following the road, Diana surveyed the town for herself until she decided she was lost. Maybe asking directions would help her find her new home? And later the police department.

Stopping in a parking lot next to the local supermarket, Diana waited to see if she saw a cop car or, any car for that matter, that she could ask for directions.

Waiting for a moment in her car, she finally saw another car pull up, close beside her. With a huff, Diana exited her own car and stepped into the rain, deciding to grab her chance. And what a great chance it was!

A chance to step into a puddle and have her whole leg and boot be drenched in water. Diana's smile immediately soured, as her loose, straight black hair instantly was drenched as well and hid most of her face.

A loud huff left her as the occupant of the other car stepped out themselves. Diana must have looked like some kind of character from the ring, and probably just lost her chance to find her way to her new home.

Yet, rather than hearing someone ask what the hell Diana thought she was doing, she heard a giggle. One of the most annoying ones Diana had heard recently. "Need help there stranger?" A high-pitched woman's voice piped up, as the woman took a step towards Diana.

Diana pulled the hair out of her face, finally able to see the stranger in front of her. It was a short blonde woman, who was obviously pregnant. Yet she was smiling at Diana, and unlike others who pretended to smile, her eyes smiled too.

"Is it that obvious?" She answered, her tone annoyed more than anything as she assessed the damage when it came to her whet clothes.

"Kinda," the stranger replied as she approached Diana, now standing up close to her to assess the damage herself as well. "Looks like you've got some water in your boot there-"

Diana scoffed at that, rolling her eyes as she looked down at the woman, "yeah, and in my socks too, before you ask." This only seemed to amuse the stranger who giggled at Diana's snarky attitude.