An unexpected visit

CRASH

Diana gasped, when she heard a loud sound from outside her window, and shot upright in her bed. Accompanied by the sound of something crashing, she heard growling and barking. As if two dogs were going at it.

Or, something bigger than a dog as the growls were deeper and sent a shiver down her spine. Looking at the clock and realizing that it was just before 2 AM at night, Diana jumped out of bed. She bolted over to her window, Diana didn't even put on pants as she froze, her blood running cold at what she saw. The scene before her was hard to describe, as it made no sense to the detective. Well, most wouldn't understand the sight before her other than a bad dream or some kind of sick joke.

There, standing outside of her room, there were indeed two wolves fighting, but- they weren't really wolves. Because most wolves don't stand on two feet. No, these were different.

Gulping, Diana soon realized they looked more like werewolves from fiction and media. A huge black one which was quite obviously male. And the other, a smaller, pale female. But instead of the two beasts getting along, the female was fighting the male, biting and clawing at him. The black wolf, in turn, was defending, fending off most hits from the smaller wolf, and dodging her bites.

It was too strange to be real. Yet, when Diana pinched herself, she was still awake and couldn't really imagine this being a dream.

First Daisy goes missing, now this? The universe must be playing mean tricks on her. Or was this what killed the other girl, Mary? A monster?

Maybe this was what would be her end as well...

Shaking her head, her thoughts were immediately interrupted when she heard a high-pitched yelp and looked back in the direction of the two werewolves.

The black wolf had the smaller blonde one underneath him, pinning her to the ground with a knee between her shoulders. He was probably a lot heavier than she was. His sharp fangs were close to the female's neck as he growled.
Diana held her breath, thinking she might witness a murder but- was surprised yet again when the female wolf shifted her head, baring her throat towards the male. Was she asking for it?

Instead of taking the chance to strike, as Diana thought the wolf would do, he didn't and got off the blonde female, letting her up again.

She didn't dare look at him though before the strangest thing of all happened. Something that made Diana actually freeze up from the inside out. The wolves began to shapeshift.

Their body parts moving, and reshaped themselves until they were back into the form of 2 fully clothed humans. 2 Humans she actually recognized.

The woman, who was covered in quite some blood- was Caroline. But it was the man that made her breath hitch in her throat. His dark brown, shoulder-length hair gave it away before she saw his face.

It was Jack.

He looked to her house for a moment and then up at Diana's bedroom window. Diana ducked just as he turned, hoping he didn't see her.

His muffled voice sounded through her wall as rage suddenly surged through her. Diana reached for her holstered gun belt as it hung from the bedpost. Taking her weapon, she sneakily went down the stairs of her little house.

And then to the back door, where she waited for a moment so she could catch the wolves by surprise.

Taking a deep breath to steady herself, she kicked the door open and held the gun up, aiming for Jack rather than Caroline, since he was obviously the more dangerous one.

"Freeze! Don't move! You're going to pay for what you've done!" Diana shouted, as the pair in front of her, looked surprised as they fully turned to her but made no move to approach her.