Chapter 1 : Great minds and men; when the Siren met the Chimera

PROLOGUE 1: THE TRUTH ABOUT GREAT MINDS AND MEN

You had a secret. The truth of the universe was much more complicated, but to make a long story short: Parallel universes exist. Even time travel exists. And reincarnation exists. And other such strange phenomenon. You were a supernatural, but you never meant to be.

It wasn't as if you were super strong, was bullet proof or had some cool elemental power. Your superhuman nature was much more... banal. You have the memories of your past self. It wasn't as if you were a reincarnated soul. You were transmigrated to a different reality, a different earth. This earth was much more technologically backwards compared to the one you remember. However, transmigration did not hamper the skills you have honed and perfected from the original earth. Not only did you grow up in a technologically advanced Earth, but you had to fight for your place in it. You never forgot what it felt like to fight and most certainly, not the thrill of it. Thrill seeking and binging on adrenaline had long lost its flavor in your new life, but you still remembered the feeling of blood on your knuckles, flesh under your boot and that sweet throat of yours grow hoarse from screaming, screaming and screaming. You remembered it all.

Now, not only do you look different, but also are different. You don't know when Earth-N1 version of you and this Earth-N2 version of you started to mingle into a single entity like a double helix. So, the answer to this conundrum is this: You are you.

You were strong, intelligent, powerful, beautiful, arrogant, bitchy, sour-tempered and sharp-tongued. You were a sharp-clawed harpy.

And you had an unfair advantage over everyone else.

Maybe that was the secret behind brilliant people and mad men.

You were now a student in college studying to become a sound engineer at daylight hours. But at night, you were creating, inventing and building something new. You had your own makeshift laboratory in your garage. Your nifty knowledge of mechanics and technology from the other Earth allowed you to create things in secret. She didn't trust anyone with her tools and inventions and now was not the time yet. Let everyone think you are an ordinary student. Don't let anyone reveal how special you truly are.

Because it takes a special kind of character to take the honor of seeing you in full glory.

Who would have thought that all it took was a mad man to fall deeply in love with you?

●・○・●・○・●・○・●・○・●・○・●・○・●

Tremble at the name of Hanma Shuji. With the guidance of Valhalla's true head, he was confident to become one of the heavenly kings to take over Tokyo. He was called zombie, the undead man, the ice man, the God of Death, the Smiling Shark.

He walked around like a dangerous animal on the prowl in this jungle made of steel, glass and asphalt. Inside of him, there is a battle between the cruelty and coldness of a predator and the ache to do the right thing. Not good, just right.

It was right to beat the enemy delinquent to a pulp, only to call the hospital on him afterwards. It was right to follow Kiseki Tetta, all the way till his death and not regret any acts of antagonism on his part. It was right to smoke a cigarette and force one of his underlings to get a lighter. It felt good to smoke. It felt so good to fight.

But since the man he admired has gone, he fell back into the feeling of emptiness that slowly crept through the veins of his soul like a glacier. He was not without purpose, his time with Kiseki Tetta changed him into someone that was surprisingly proactive. He found his battleground, he found the road to Valhalla, but there was no one to take him there.

What really amazed him and perhaps others, was that he actually got into college. Many would think that a delinquent like him would simply dropout of high school and go nowhere in life. But against all expectations, he graduated with minimal grades and goes to college to take whatever blow-off classes he could find. He only took literature seriously anyway and had never been academically inclined. His friend was though; Kisaki Tetta.