Chapter 4: The Taming of the (Shrew) Chimera

PROLOGUE 4: AT THE BLOSSOMING OF A POISONOUS FLOWER, HE OWNS YOUR HEART.

You really enjoyed having Hanma as your boyfriend, truly. However, sometimes, he was a handful. Fortunately, you had a strong personality to deal with his nonsense. He gave you a plethora of headaches, but he had never given you a single heartache.

It did not take you very long to fall in love with him. You did not know when your heart would start to beat a little faster or when your breath would hitch whenever your eyes met his across the distance. Sometimes, he would keep eye contact with you and have this stupid smile on his face that you had to dip down your head a little to hide your own smile. You had to sigh at him sometimes; he was completely incapable of being princely. There is no charm to his smile and he was by no means a 'bishounen'.

Nevertheless, to you, Hanma was a handsome man in his own right with his own brand of handsomeness that impossible to imitate. His smile was wide, wild, lethal and predatory. His long limbs were fast, agile and strong. He was so much stronger than he looked but the way he carried himself; there was so much strength stored at his fingertips, making every one of his movements so purposeful and fortitude.

Hanma was not a soft man, but he was soft only for you.

What have you ever done in your life to deserve his love? What were the gods trying to tell you? You most certainly loved and lost in your previous life. You betrayed your lover, killed a member of his family, and you paid the price for it. So why is life giving you a second shot at love?

... Then you realized it.

It was his loyalty. Yet, you could not buy it quiet yet. You had been hurt and betrayed too. How could you open your heart to him?

It has to be an infatuation, right? Yes, you surmised. It was just an infatuation and you were having fun. There was just a short period of domestic bliss. It was ridiculous that while you were reliving a brand-new life with a clean body, your soul was not a clean slate. It had scars of its own.

So, you wondered why Hanma and his bloodlust put you at so much ease when it scares everyone else away. Was he just that compatible with you? Granted, he never tried to hide his rotten nature from the fellow college students and you have seen him be a little annoyed at the other girls and boys looking at him as if he was some sort of curiosity.

Truth is, he was a curiosity. Just not to you at first, but he was starting to evolve from curiosity to an actual partner. What amazed you was his uncanny sense of wisdom mixed in with humor. The man can be so terribly funny with his morbid jokes and tongue-in-cheek humor that ranges between levels of absolute stupid and absolute mad-lad.

You did not believe in love. Whatever you are feeling must be how your repressed hormones were suddenly reacting to a pair of golden eyes that you truly, deeply liked looking into. Love was, at best, temporary; it has the capacity to grow into something else or simply fade away. You had been feeling the butterflies while you were with him but what will you do when the butterflies fly away?

On top of that, Hanma was a difficult boyfriend; he needs to be stimulated and his sort of stimulation involves thrills, fights, blood and murder. If her minute and detailed research with the help of Eddie proved anything, it was that he was more than happy to be an accomplice to murder. But for what reason?

Fortunately, he was utterly and completely infatuated with you. You would rather get the more complicated and heart-felt answers out of his mouth. You understood his personality well-enough from your tests of love. It is obvious that he was going to be loyal to you and follow you on any journey. If you stayed as a pretty, dominant wife with a high paying job in engineering, the both of you would be content. But that sort of domestic atmosphere didn't quiet suit you; it was such a lackluster picture that you couldn't imagine yourself photographed into such a harmonious scene.