Chapter 2: The Huntsman Academy, Beacon

Looking outside the window, Lyle could see the vast city of Vale that stretches out vast like the ocean, seemingly not to have an end. Behind him was Skadi, who was keeping watch for the other passengers on board with one eye open.

They were currently heading to Beacon Academy, one of the four main Huntsman Academies in Remnant from what they learned from Professor Ozpin using an air-space ship. Having rarely left the ground and travel on the air was rare and uncomfortable for both of them, despite not showing it.

There were a few people who looked at them, but quickly looked away in fear when they met with Skadi's piercing blood eyes that told them to 'stay away' and leave them alone. Noticing this for a while now, Lyle could only sigh at how wary Skadi could be for new people and there were only a few whom she had opened up to.

Although he won't say social is his strong part, he was always the one who converses in situations that require social interaction when they went on a mission.

Stepping away from the window, he went ahead and chopped on Skadi's head, making her flinch by surprise before looking at him confusingly, seemingly wondering why he hit her.

"You're scaring other people with your glares." He told her as she looked around before returning her attention to him, "oh..." was the only word that came out of her mouth before she went and glared at a nearby person, making them flinch and run away.

Seeing this, he decided to give up and suspects that it may be due to her being an orca faunus that made her so wary due to the unknown environment that she wasn't used to yet.

Suddenly, they heard a news broadcast that was shown everywhere on the ship.

"The robbery was led by nefarious criminal Roman Torchwick, who continues to evade authorities. If you have any information on his whereabouts, please contact the Vale Police Department. Back to you, Lisa."

Hearing this, Lyle lifted his eyebrow as Skadi continued to listen to the news broadcast with curiosity in her mind. The news switched again, changing to another topic.

"Thank you, Cyril. In other news, this Saturday's Faunus Civil Rights protest turned dark when members of the White Fang disrupted the ceremony. The once peaceful organization has now disrupted..."

Lyle instinctively looks at Skadi, only to see her expressionless face. It seems as though she didn't seem to care that much about the faunus right. He knew why and let her be as not long after, a holographic version of a familiar blond female appeared, catching the two attentions.

"Hello, and welcome to Beacon! My name is Glynda Goodwitch."

"..."

"You are among a privileged few who have received the honour of being selected to attend this prestigious academy! Our world is experiencing an incredible time of peace, and as future Huntsmen and Huntresses, it is your duty to uphold it. You have demonstrated the courage needed for such a task, and now it is our turn to provide you with the knowledge and the training to protect our world."

The hologram disappeared as everybody could see Skadi frowning while Lyle closed his eyes and turned his expression to look at the sky.

'If we lived in such a peaceful time, why would they even need us here? Why are there still many conflicts if the world is at peace? It's all an illusion to let your guard down that would cost you your life, just like the current way of the ocean.' Skadi thought to herself.

She truly hates how cruel the world was. Just like an actor behind a mask, the world that everybody sees is just the small percentage of the real world that hides many dark secrets. Though she has come to accept it, she also came to not care about the world and cares only for people who are important to her.