Chapter 44 - Feeding Habits

When Jan and Ivan emerged from the basement, Ethan was waiting for them. "Do you want to use the bathroom? I can give you my clothes."

Jan shook his head, avoiding Ethan's eyes. Not with your scent on them. And definitely not that shower.

Jan was not going to tempt his willpower.

Ethan led them to a cozy white kitchen, where Louie had perched on one of the counter bar stools, flashing a charming smile at Ethan's mother. The warm lights bounced off Naomi's dark blonde hair as she placed a white cooling box with a red cross logo on top of the counter.

"Sorry, aside from... the usual... I have no idea how you take your dinner. I had to rely on the local hospital for help," she explained, opening the box to reveal several blood bags on ice.

Ethan went to stand by her, resting a hip against the counter. His muscles bulged under the thick gray hoodie when he folded his arms. Comfortable and relaxed, he looked every inch the king in his own home. A far cry from the newly-turned Lycan plagued with self-doubt that Jan had overheard earlier.

Ethan caught him staring, and the vampire looked away, praying his heartbeat was not as loud as it sounded. He focused on Naomi's offering on the counter instead.

Jan had to at least appreciate her effort. She was probably the only wolf, aside from Ethan, who wanted to feed him.

He and Ivan walked over to the other side of the kitchen peninsula, sandwiching their more petite friend between them. Louie scoffed, swiveling away from the Russian.

"Thank you, Mrs. Reyn-" Ivan started, ignoring the pouting Frenchman.

"Naomi," she insisted.

"Naomi," Ivan repeated, nodding at the token of familiarity. "Clinical blood is heavily medicated and treated for extended shelf-life, reducing the quality. I appreciate the sentiment, but you don't have to worry about us. We made arrangements."

Jan stole glances at Ethan from the corner of his eyes.

The Lycan frowned, his gaze boring holes into him. The discussion around their nutritional habits gave Jan a bad vibe. That, and Ethan's reaction, told him to move the conversation away from feeding. But his brother and Naomi were too engrossed in playing diplomacy that their eyes barely strayed to the room's other occupants.

"Oh, okay. If you can let me know your... preferences, I'll try and get something suitable next time," she replied.

"You made arrangements?"

Naomi paused at Ethan's low tone while covering the icebox, her smile faltering. Jan finally met his gaze.

"Er- yes, we normally do. Especially when we are going into unfamiliar territory." Ivan explained when his brother remained silent, but Ethan's eyes were trained on Jan.

"Do you always feed like you did yesterday?"

Ah, shit! Here we go. The worry that was tingling the back of Jan's mind blew up.

"Yesterday?" Naomi asked, looking confused.

"Is this about Jan drinking your blood?" responded Louie, his nonchalant attitude oblivious to the tension. "Oh no, dear. That's just between you and him. We don't drink wolf blood. Only humans. Or bovine when desperate."

"What?" screeched Naomi. She whirled on her son, running her eyes and hands over him. "He bit you?"

"I'm not talking about who!" Ethan cut in, watching Jan like a hawk. He straightened to his full height and stepped away from his mother's fussing towards Jan. "I'm talking about how. Do you feed like you want to fuck their brains out?"