Chapter 114 - Troublemakers

I'm an alpha, for Luna's sake!

Five years after the Battle of Memphis, Ethan still questioned his authority in his home. He glared at his Chief of Police as Calvin snatched the sheaf of papers from his hands and shoved a plate of burgers and fries in its place.

They sat in his dad's old study in the basement, which was Ethan's new office now. However, very little had changed since he started using it years ago.

He had replaced the old, worn-out sofa and armchair with a dark, plush leather set. A thick, gray carpet lay in place of the stained Persian rug to enhance the modern decor. But he kept his father's mahogany desk and office chairs. The swivel chair's high back support and spring cushion molded perfectly to Ethan's body. And sometimes, when he was caught in deep thought at the table his dad had used decades ago, he could almost feel the former alpha's presence guiding him.

His mom said that was probably his dad's scent playing tricks on his mind, but Ethan wanted to believe it was more than that.

The most apparent change, though, was Jan's trunk no longer stood in the center of the room.

"Eat, Alpha!" Calvin's bark drew him back into the present. "You've lost a lot of weight. Even with two layers, it's becoming obvious."

"Blessed Luna, you're worse than Zyga. You could out-nag him any day," Ethan groaned. Just when he thought Dr. Mrs. Herse, formerly Dr. Kim, had come to rescue him from the grouchy tracker, Calvin appeared with a severe mother-hen complex. "I'll bet ten bucks Zyga only retired 'cause he knew you'd be here to drive me nuts."

"If so, then it's due to the fact that he cares for you, like I do. I'm worried not only because you're my alpha but also because you're a good friend. Luna has blessed us so far, but the signs of the bond madness are getting worse. Your uniform was altered twice, but it still hangs loose on you."

Ethan sighed. As usual, the meticulous officer was correct.

Despite their rocky beginning, Calvin had proved himself to be a solid friend with a great work ethic. Naturally, that brought them close. However, Ethan had not told him the true extent of the damage to his body.

Over the last couple of years, his appetite had disappeared entirely, and chewing took more effort than it was worth. However, he kept his face blank as he grabbed a fry and tossed it into his mouth. Calvin worried too much as it was.

Just as expected, it was dry and rubbery like cardboard. Picking up another, he did not bother with salt or ketchup. Nothing helped.

He had lost his sense of taste and, recently, his smell. It was a secret that he had not even mentioned to Brent or Eri. Grimly, Ethan munched on the bland food under Calvin's watchful eyes.

"I see you and Louie are back together," Ethan said, pointing the fry at the bandaid on the man's throat.

Calvin shifted, belatedly pulling up the collar of his uniform to hide the evidence. "Er... yeah. He promised it's for good this time."

Ethan scoffed. "Again. How many times had he made that promise?"

"He's serious this time," Calvin mumbled, avoiding his knowing gaze.

The alpha shook his head. He knew the pain of being with someone who could not or did not want to commit, but at least he had the pull of a bond to fall on. Calvin did not have that luxury until Louie chose him as a mate. "I don't like seeing you hurt. Lorr said his sire emotionally and physically tortured him until Jan rescued him. He developed Stockholm Syndrome, and even though the bastard is dead, he can't commit because he's fixated on him. Louie's searching for something no one can give him, and he'll only keep hurting you with promises, Calvin."