Chapter 82 - Licentious Passengers

A/N: Warning:  Brief  MXM sex scene

Ethan gritted his teeth as his sexy blond target remained close, yet so far. After separating from Jan on the field, he had not touched his mate again. From random people coming up to greet him to his friends seizing his arms as they jumped about in jubilation, it seemed the universe was intent on keeping him away from those strawberry lips.

"Ethan Reyn," a thickly bearded man said, reaching out to grab the hand Brent had just released. "I'm Major Graves, head of the Gray Oaks Vanguards. Congratulations on your first outing. It's an honor for us to host it."

"Thank you, Major. The pleasure was all mine."

Another day, another time, Ethan would have been awed to be in the presence of the elite and rubbing shoulders with such influential people. But after the thousandth introduction, he struggled to maintain a civil expression.

"I had the privilege of knowing your father. An excellent alpha..."

As the major droned on, Ethan spied a plump woman making a beeline for him. She waved her chubby arms to gain his attention.

He swallowed a groan of frustration. At this rate, he might never make it out of the stadium.

Stranded in the underground hallway, he and his family were making their way to the garage. But despite the staff's best effort, several fans had followed them in, and now the corridor was choked.

Brent, Levi, Eri, Styles, Breanna, Reg, and Mable formed a circle, arms around each other as they chanted, "Gray Oaks, brave! Gray Oaks, strong!"

Even Emily ran over and shouldered her way between Breanna and Reg to join the celebration.

Zyga carried Mrs. Bane, who had indulged a bit too much in a sweet cocktail from the bar. She could hardly keep her eyes open now.

"Gray Oaks... brave ... strong," Naomi slurred, slumped on Rook's shoulder while her youngest son and his best friend giggled hysterically.

And right at the edge of gathering in the underground hallway, Jan moved closer to the elevators. Chris and his team formed a protective shield around the three vampires and Dr. Kim, while Ethan was left to face the masses on his own.

"I'm sorry, Major," Ethan interrupted. "I'd love to keep chatting. You have decades of experience that I could learn from, and I always like to listen to memories of my dad. But unfortunately, my mom is about to get trampled over right now. If you'll excuse me..."

"Of course, of course. Make way!" he boomed, causing several people to flinch.

Almost instantly, a path cleared in front of Ethan. Brent's chanting friendship circle collapsed on itself.

"Thanks, Major."

"My pleasure. If you'd like, I can clear one afternoon so that I show you some of the joint strategies your father and I proposed in the past-"

"Certainly, Major," Ethan tossed over his shoulder and hurried away before something - or someone - else came up.

He got to his mother at the same time that his mate slipped into an elevator.

"I got you. Come on," he coaxed his mother, wrapping her arm over his neck and shifting most of her weight onto him. But no amount of urging would speed up Naomi Reyn's sluggish steps.

By the time they got to Jan's lift, it was packed with Louie, Indri, and some security staff.

Ethan swallowed bitter bile as his mate slipped out of his grasp again.