Chapter 126 - Tomcat

"Alpha Reyn!" called a voice Ethan did not want to hear at this moment.

He glanced at the platinum watch on his wrist - the latest gift from his mate. It was an identical replica of his own, initialed, engraved, and with a matching belt buckle. Brent often joked that Jan's habit of gifting expensive and visible accessories was his subconscious way of marking the alpha to let the world know he was taken. The thought always lit a fire in Ethan's heart, making his yearning for his mate much fiercer.

However, the position of the hand-crafted dial caused him to frown this afternoon. It read two-thirty-seven.

"If I don't get to my room in five minutes, I'll murder someone," Ethan grumbled at the warriors in the community hall.

"Well, you better kill me then," Zyga retorted. "I'll tell Emily you did it, and she'll never bake for you again."

Ethan ground his teeth, wishing dearly to stuff that old grouch in the closest garbage can. Unfortunately, he could not because he had recently found that no one bakes a chocolate cake like his old classmate, not even his beloved mom. Revitalized by his mate's awakening, his appetite had come roaring with a vengeance. Between her two teenage sons and the alpha's bottomless belly, his mother spent more time in the kitchen than out of it.

To make it worse, Ethan had recently developed a sweet tooth. Zyga had seized on this weakness, often using his stepdaughter's dessert to blackmail him.

"Aren't you supposed to be retired? Why're you here?" Ethan grumbled, pouting as he turned to face Zyga.

The old tracker had dressed casually in jeans and a jacket like everyone else. This gathering was a quick regroup of their delegation ahead of the main event for tonight.

The alphas of Gray Oaks and Snow Pines and scores of their warriors had descended on an estate in Virginia called a Marked Motel. Apparently, it was an exclusive lodge for vampires. But Jan and Ivan pulled some strings, and now the wolves have overrun the place for a landmark summit with the vampire council.

"I helped to make this conference happen. I won't miss it for the world," Zyga answered, a proud twinkle in his eyes. "The first meeting is in less than six hours. The Washington Wolves insist we include them in tomorrow's discussion, and knowing Alpha Aiyana, she might just show up in the middle of the night. We'll have to change the agenda, and I need you to approve the new plan. Where're you in a rush to, Alpha?"

Ethan groaned, rolling his eyes as he turned.

He had not wanted to have this meeting in the first place. The only reason why the alpha came was to tell the council to back off his mate. He certainly was not interested in turning it into a national summit.

"Kitten," Eri bit off, answering Zyga with the nickname the wolves used for Jan. He glared at the beleaguered alpha as he snapped his black leather folder closed with more forcefully than needed. The beta was decidedly not amused with his best friend because he had failed to ask Jan of his political leanings.

But Ethan had more important issues - like getting back into his mate's pants. No matter how hard he tried, Jan's waistband had grown tighter than a chastity belt since that disastrous attempt a couple of weeks back.

At least Brent sympathized with him. He understood the alpha's plight was of higher priority. However, Ethan's other beta was back home, manning the helm while the bulk of his leadership was away.

Bruce chortled, straightening the army-green eyepatch on his face. "Good luck getting him to sit longer than ten minutes. Aww, don't be mad, Eri. You're still young. There're some things you probably don't know. The old vanguards have a saying - a wolf who just found his mate is worse than a tomcat in heat."