Chapter 1 | A New Beginning

Chapter 1.

"You look dead."

That was the first thing my sister said to me on my first day of college.

"Natasha!" our mum scolded her, rushing around the kitchen counter to embrace me. "Honey are you excited?" she asked, more excited than I could have ever been, no matter how much I faked it.

"What? She does," I heard Natasha grumble before I heard her heeled boots clicking on the tile as she walked away.

"Oh darling, you're growing up so fast," my mum gushed, pulling back and pushing my curly hair out of my face. I figured that she was about 3 minutes away from full on tears.

My mother, Dana Green, had always been the emotional type.

"Mum, its only college," I tried to shrug her off but I think I was just as nervous as she was. I still wanted to crawl back into my bed in my childhood bedroom with my mum stroking my hair like she would always do when I was upset or sick.

Today, I would be attending the same college that Natasha attended, Morford College. Natasha was in her fourth year, studying physiology and I was going to be enrolling as an art major.

"Are you sure you have everything? Pajamas? Toothbrush? Phone?" she asked, looking worriedly at the small pile of what I was taking, which consisted of only three medium sized boxes and a large suitcase.

When my sister had gone to college her first year she had probably double the amount of stuff, but I was all about only bringing the necessities. Plus, they had shops up there.

"I'm sure. Remember yesterday when we packed and unpacked it twice?" I asked and she laughed nervously, hugging me tightly again.

"I'm being silly, aren't I?" she asked.

"No mum, you're being great," I assured her, hugging her back just as tightly.

"I just wish someone from high school was going to Morford, so you weren't alone," she said, worrying her bottom lip.

My friends from high school had all attended different colleges, with many of them deciding to go straight into the work force or take a year off first.

"I'm still keeping in touch with Jayne," I said, to make her worry less. The truth was though that through the last year of high school all of us had drifted apart, until it was barely any or no friendship left.

"Oh my god, are you ready yet?" Natasha came striding back in, dressed in a cute fit and flare dress with tights, boots and a jacket on. Her hair, unlike my curly mess, had been relaxed and straightened into a sleek look that swayed whenever she moved.

"I'm ready," I assured her, grabbing my shoulder bag off of the counter and slinging it on.

"Are you really wearing that?" she asked, looking down at my outfit.

Natasha, whilst slim, pretty and confident was almost the exact opposite to me.

Whilst we were both quite slim and fit, she dressed to impress while I dressed to just have something on me.

I was wearing plain dark wash jeans and a grey knit sweater. I had on plain black ankle boots and my hair was wild and untamed around my face, my curls barely reaching below my shoulders and probably covering a good chunk of my face.

"Whatever, we need to leave now if we want to reach there by lunch," Natasha said, walking forward to kiss our mum on the cheek and say goodbye.

I was ushered out of the door and once the boxes had been loaded into the back of my sisters Hyundai we were waving to our mum out of the car window. I watched out the window until she was out of sight and we were zooming down the street.