Chapter 5 | Meeting the Roomies

Chapter 5.

"You're doing what?!" Natasha screeched down the phone on Saturday morning.

I winced and pulled the phone back from my ear.

"I'm moving in with a friend," I told her again sheepishly.

"Friend? Yesterday you didn't have any friends!" she exclaimed. Eleanor had wanted me to move in right away, and we had decided on Saturday. We had organized for her to come by my dorm at 10am to help move all my stuff over to her apartment. I had wanted to meet the other roommates first, to make sure that they didn't hate me before I moved in with them, but she had dismissed the idea with a casual 'you cant be worse than the last one'.

Which was not at all comforting.

"Yeah... well she's more of an acquaintance, but she's very nice," I thought back to her screaming at that shop owner and winced, "and they need another roommate because their old one moved out," I explained. I had called Natasha first, because it was better to see how Natasha would react before telling our mother.

"Maisie, I waited half a semester to move into an apartment with others! And I had been living in a dorm room with one of them for those prior five weeks first!" she exclaimed again. I couldn't work out whether she was angry or just shocked.

"You told me to take chances! To meet new people!" I exclaimed, throwing her words back at her.

"Yeah, and I thought that you would take it a bit slower than moving into a random apartment!" she argued and I sighed. What I was doing was crazy. But I was done with being safe.

Safe was turning me into a boring, anti-social hermit.

"Natasha," I said quietly, "I have spent the past year in a state of sadness and utter boringness. The only thing I've done for a whole year is the same, boring routine and I don't want to spend another year the same way. I don't want to regret another year."

There was silence for a moment and I gripped the phone tighter in my hand.

"I understand Maisie," Natasha replied quietly. "Just don't do drugs and don't get murdered," she warned, making me laugh.

A knock at my dorm room door sounded and I quickly said goodbye to my sister.

I opened the door and Eleanor immediately strolled past me.

"What a wonderful day for moving!" she exclaimed, striding into the room and looking around. I looked out the window at the grey sky and the rain that was currently sprinkling down from the sky.

"Hi Eleanor," I greeted with a smile as I shoved the last few things into my suitcase.

Today, Eleanor was wearing skin-tight, high waist black and red plaid pants, which accentuated her long, slim legs and a black crop top. She wore chunky cut out heeled boots on her feet and her hair was long and straight but had it braided against one side of her head, giving her an edgy look.

She really made my self esteem drop in my worn skinny jeans, grey cardigan, worn converse and my same messy, curly hair.

"So I've made everyone stay at the apartment so they can meet you," she informed me as she grabbed a cardboard box and hefted it into her arms.

I was suddenly nervous. "What if they don't like me?" I asked and she gave me a 'so what' look.

"If they hate you, which I highly doubt, the worst they'll do is turn on the kitchen tap while you're in the shower," she said.