Chapter 6 | Karaoke is Best Sung off Key

Chapter 6.

I had been sleeping peacefully when suddenly a loud thumping on my door awoke me. For a second I forgot that I wasn't still in my old, single person dorm room, but was now living with four other people.

I sat up in bed, sleepy and confused.

The thumping came again and a voice (I think it was Jamie's) called out, "rise and shine! It's time to get your groove on!"

I looked at my phone to see that it was already 9am. Quickly throwing off my blankets I rushed out of bed to see the others waiting in the living room. Yvette was scowling in black cotton shorts and a singlet. She still looked half asleep and didn't look any happier than yesterday.

Eleanor was the only one actually dressed, so I was guessing that she had actually been up for a while.

Jamie and will were both in sweatpants and tees, except Jamie's was a brightly coloured tie-dye one.

Eleanor had quietly informed me that it was his dance shirt.

"Who's ready to get crayyyzy?!" Jamie yelled, holding his iPhone up in the air and throwing his head back. I laughed but worried about our neighbours. Would they be mad or be used to this crazy Sunday ritual by now?

There were whoops from Will and grumbles from Eleanor.

"Remember children," Jamie spoke, "an extra piece of bacon is on the line," and with that he pressed play on his phone and a loud, fast dance track began blasting from the speakers.

It was probably the craziest thing I had ever witnessed. Even Yvette, whom looked like she would rather die than do this, was jumping around crazily as we all danced.

Jamie was probably the best, pulling out numerous dance moves and having a seemingly endless supply of stamina.

Dancing for ten minutes straight was hard.

Around the 8-minute mark I was starting to tire, though I was also laughing which was making me breathless. I was spinning around, just trying to move my body in some way when I crashed into someone else and looked up to see Will. He caught my shoulders to steady me and I blushed in embarrassment. Before I could apologize, and without missing a beat, he took my hands in his and spun me around making me laugh as he spun and twirled me around for the remaining two minutes.

When the music cut off I collapsed onto the sofa, Eleanor falling beside me and tried to get my breath back. Yvette had collapsed onto the floor and Will was laying half on the coffee table and half on the floor. Jamie was the only one still standing.

"Ok who wins?" Jamie asked, a grin on his lips.

Everyone seemed to glare at him. "You," they chorused simultaneously and I had to agree.

"Jamie always wins," Eleanor explained to me, "its become more of a 'try and out-dance Jamie' than an equal competition."

"Hey! I don't always win!" he argued and Eleanor raised a brow at him. Last night, we had all spent about two hours talking and I had learnt a lot about everyone else. I had learnt that Jamie and Eleanor went way back. They had been friends in high school and had stayed friends through college. Will and Jamie had met first year because they were in the same biology class and Yvette had moved in when they had sent out an ad for another roommate.

They were such a fun group of people, even Yvette. I liked them already. They were all so welcoming.

We had moved into the kitchen after regaining our breath on the sofa, where Jamie was cooking bacon and fried eggs.