Chapter 13 | Secrets

Chapter 13.

I wasn't avoiding him.

I was just selectively speaking to him.

Ok I was so avoiding him.

It had been a few days since the incident with Will and I had only spoken to him a few times. All of those times had been when other people were around as well. I had made it impossible for him to question me about what had happened. I knew that he had promised not to tell anyone, and I trusted him not to, but although he swore not to tell anyone he could still question me about what had happened.

I was hoping that he wasn't thinking much about what had happened. Maybe he just thought that I had fainted due to dehydration or something. Although I knew that this was just wishful thinking. With the way I had panicked I knew that he thought it was bigger than just fainting.

It was my fault. If I had just played it off like I had no idea why I fainted he wouldn't even be confused or curious.

I wouldn't have to avoid him.

I had just panicked.

I sighed and brushed my curly hair from out of my eyes. My hair was a large frizzy mess of curls but I couldn't be bothered to deal with it. I was currently sitting on the grassed area on campus. Since I was avoiding Will I was trying to stay out of the house. I had picked up more shifts at work but in between work and classes I usually just sat somewhere on campus with my earphones in and read or did homework.

It was easier to think when I was alone, but it was also easier to panic.

I felt my phone vibrate in my hand and looked down to see a text from my sister.

Call me.

I read the text before locking my phone and putting it away in my pocket.

I was also avoiding my sister.

I wasn't sure that I could lie to my sister about the flashback happening again. I knew that if I saw her face-to-face, or even called her, she would know that something had happened.

It was a curse and a blessing to have a sister.

I looked at the time on my phone and saw that my shift would be starting soon.

Walking across campus I entered my work to see Juan standing behind the counter, trying to flick a plastic spoon into one of the fro-yo cups.

"Yo Maisie!" he called out as he saw me enter, "watch this!"

I watched as he flicked the spoon up off of the counter and saw It sail across the counter; hit the edge of the cup before bouncing off and onto the floor.

"Ok... it's a work in progress," he admitted sheepishly and I laughed. I enjoyed being at work. Juan was an incredibly fun person to be around. Whenever he was in the room all of the tension would evaporate and I was always left feeling calm and happy.

I walked behind the counter and wrapped the apron that was part of the uniform around me, tying it around my waist

"So there's this party tonight at my friends house," Juan started and I glanced at him as I began refilling the stacks of fro-yo cups.

"Yeah?" I asked.

"You should come," he suggested. I hesitated. I still wasn't really into parties. The only ones I had been too I had been dragged there by my sister and Eleanor. Although I had ended up enjoying myself at them I still wasn't a party type of girl.

I enjoyed staying in my room on my laptop.

"I'm not sure," I murmured. Although Juan was a great friend, I hadn't met any of his friends and wasn't sure I would be welcome at a party.