chapter 13: we want to help you

after allison's sudden revelation they quickly drove to leonard's- or harold's, more accurately- house. y/n waited a moment longer than her siblings to exit the car.

"be careful, okay?" allison called out, watching diego move towards the door. "we don't know what peabody's capable of"

"yeah, he didn't seem that dangerous when i first saw him, looked kinda scrawny"

"yeah well, so are most serial killers and mass murderers. i mean, look at him" allison gestured to five.

"thanks"

"wait" y/n quickly clambered out, stopping her siblings before they could do anything. they all paused, turning to her, "maybe we shouldn't.. i mean, i know he was a criminal in the past but.. vanya's happy. are we really going to ruin that for the millionth time on some baseless assumption-?"

"he could cause the apocalypse, y/n! it's not baseless, stopping him-" five begun to argue, growing angry as he realised his siblings really weren't understanding the importance of the situation they were in.

"he could, five. but he also couldn't" she stressed, "what if they're leading you astray? sending you after the wrong person?"

"they wouldn't do that, they had no idea what my plan was" five threw his hands up in annoyance.

"we can apologise to vanya when we save the world, okay?" allison cut in before the argument could escalate, "right now though, we need to make sure harold jenkins really isn't the one who's going to cause the end of the world"

y/n sighed heavily, it's not like vanya would know, right? "fine."

"so, what's this guy want with vanya?" diego changed the subject as he approached the door again.

"don't know, how about we ask him after we kill him?" five proposed. y/n's head snapped towards him, a look of disgust on her face while diego held a hand out,

"woah, woah, woah, woah, hey" he turned around to face five, "look, i'm gonna burst through the-" he paused as he watched five turn around, thinking for a second. "you know what? it would be nice if you could just stick to-"

five blinked.

"-the plan"

"you should know by now that he's not going to" y/n snorted as she watched diego sigh and take a step back. "hey, hey, hey what are you doing?!" she reached out to stop him but he had already flung himself through the window. so much for vanya not knowing, she frowned.

"subtle" allison remarked as she and five stepped past diego's fallen body.

"you know the door was unlocked?" y/n gently pushed it open, standing next to five.

"yeah? well, my way works just fine" diego pushed himself up, groaning as he stood straight. "spread out. yell if you uh.. you know, you're in trouble"

"inspiring leadership" five raised an eyebrow, glancing over at y/n and allison.

"one of the greats" the former shrugged, immediately heading for the stairs. allison followed after her, the pair splitting at the top to check the rooms before allison noticed the attic hatch.

"hey, y/n" she called as she reached for the handle. the younger girl stepped over, climbing up first when allison pulled it open.

"ew, it reaks up here" y/n cringed, reaching a hand up to pinch her nose as she looked around, allison exploring behind her. "hey allison.." her voice, albeit funny sounding, came out quite freaked out as she slowly stuck her free hand towards her siblings action figures.