Amo Vitiello

Amo 10 years old

"I triple dog dare you to do it!" Valerio yelled, getting more and more excited by the situation. "Why don't you come over here and try it first?!" I yelled back. We were both on top of the pool house roof in the Hamptons. Inside the mansion a stuffy boring party was going on. One too many this summer. That was why the two of us were out here, on the roof. Which wasn't allowed in the first place. What I was about to do next was definitely not allowed. I hung onto the umbrella tightly, checking the draft in the wind that was tugging up the umbrella. That seemed to confirm my theory and I looked over at Valerio with a triumphant gleam of what was about to happen. "Watch and learn, Valerio." He looked on in wide eyed suspension. I walked to the end of the roof as a strung gust of wind came in. All circumstances seemed to be lining up. I honestly couldn't think of anything that could go wrong in this situation. With more confidence than I should have had, I stepped off the roof with the large umbrella tightly in my hand. Taking off it was a euphoric feeling as I was mightily pulled by the force of nature, the adrenaline was high like when I was scaling down a mountain on skis. For a brief second everything was great, then gravity came in full force and dragged me down hard. I landed at an awkward angle on the grassy floor. I yelled out as pain filtered through me. This wasn't good. What started out as a fool proof plan quickly sunk in as very stupid. "That was sooo cool!" Valerio yelled, looking like an angel from above with his wayward blond hair and the sun streaming down. "Valerio, go get Dad!" I managed to get out as the pain just got progressively worse.

Disappointment was an understatement at the look in my dad's face as he paced the office floor. Then there was the red hot embarrassment as I was carried through my house with the peering eyes at the family function. After a good bout of coos and coddling from my family, I sat back in the office window as the family's doctor looked at my leg. After half an hour he concluded it was broken but would heal in time with a cast. He excused himself politely after his assessment was done, opening the door briefly to let in the many voices outside the room. Now the dreaded party was looking pretty good, better than being stuck in here with dad who still hadn't looked at me. After some time his voice broke through. "You will endure a lot of pain in your life but that will all be for a greater cause. Not from your own pure stupidity." His voice was harsh, disappointed. I looked down in shame. I knew it was stupid. That was the worst part, after the wave of excitement had gone, I was left with the bitter fact that he was right. I still had too much pride to admit that though. "But Matteo said-" "Don't listen to Matteo, Amo, and definitely don't blame others for your actions, that is a weak man's game." I felt defeated and lost for words. Dad must have sensed this because he came over with a less hard face, kneeling down to be face to face with me. "Do you see this office, Amo?" I looked around confused but nodded. I had been in this office many times, I remembered it since I was little. "This office was my fathers and will someday be yours." I never thought of it like that. "What I'm saying Amo is that you are part of a legacy, a legacy that spans generations and every person part of it made sacrifices for you to be here today, for you to continue that line. They didn't risk their own lives for you to go jumping off roofs." I looked down again, it sounded even more stupid when he said it like that. Dad pulled my chin up so I was looking him in his eyes, my eyes. Same color. "You are a part of something greater than yourself, you have a duty to continue that. To make your family proud, for you to hold your head high with the name Vitiello. Because it is up to you if that name evokes respect or shame. It is in your hands if your children will inherit an honorable name or a name tainted in disloyalty. You will walk with strength knowing your history and the legacy you're going to contribute to." I nodded, nothing making more sense than this. My own wants were pale in comparison of the greater purpose I now held. I made myself a promise that day, I would never bring shame to my family. 

Respect

Honor

Born in blood, Sworn in blood.