Years 6-10

Despite having to grow and care for my father at such a young age, and basically become a criminal, time slowed down a bit when I turned six. Life wasn't great of course but my father and I got an opportunity to move outside the town limits. This was a big decision for my father, seeing as how his family had spent generations living within it. The decision was ultimately made for him when "missing" posters went up in search of his past love flings.

I recall walking past their posters and remembering how my father took the life of the woman in the frame. I, of course, wasn't innocent. I helped out in any way I could. The move put a new strain on my father and his father's relationship. Grandpa didn't want his son to abandon the family fields, my father wanted to lay low somewhere isolated. In the end, my grandfather agreed to help us move to our new home.

Shortly after the move, my grandfather passed. News of this traveled through the town fast and reached my father as we unpacked the last of our boxes. The next morning, father and I made our way to my grandfather's estate and were greeted by the staff. A lawyer stood at the center of the foyer along with my grandmother and her twins. The lawyer opened his briefcase and cleared his throat, ready to read my grandfather's last wishes. 'To my wife, I leave you the house. This is where we raised our children and where we spent our lives together. May it be where you find peace as I have and where we can rest for good. To Christian, you have been nothing but an embarrassment to this family and soiled the family name by getting the maid pregnant. For this, you will not be forgiven and you will certainly not be rewarded; however, you gave me an incredible grandchild who I have come to know better than I know you, my own son. The opportunity you have been presented with is no coincidence. You and this town have hit a point of no return and I fear there is nothing left for you here. Because of this, I have purchased a home outside of town in the name of my granddaughter so that she may grow up in it, marry in it and live out her days after I and you, have passed. To her, I also leave a small investment of which she will be informed at the age of eighteen. For my twins, Cole and Cody. Cody, you have been nothing and have done nothing for this family. You've spent half of your life drinking yourself away and the other half behind a jail cell. The amount of money I have spent on bailing you out is greater than what I could have left you. I can not in good conscience leave you money to feed into your drinking habits. You and Christian are anything but my children and for that, I leave everything else to Cole, I'm sure he's gonna need the money to bail you out in the future.'

A slight quiet.

'He's leaving everything else to Cole?' My father exclaims. 'Cole is nine! Cody is nine. How could father be so ignorant?'

My grandmother shook her head in disappointment as the house turned into a screaming match. 'That's enough!' She exclaimed softly through her tired breath. 'Cody, your father has done nothing but try to help you, and here you are, at nine, drinking your life away. You have been bailed out of the town jail more times than I can count. Christian, you never once tried to make your father proud of the man you were. It was always your way or the highway. He loved you both, but you both disappointed that man up until he died. I can not say that I disagree with his decision to leave things to Cole. Cole is one of the brightest nine-year-olds in the region and I know he will do great things with everything your father has left behind. Now please stop arguing with each other and come to terms that you both have fucked up and this is exactly what you deserve. A little bit over what you deserve if you ask me.' She shakes her head once more and makes her way towards the master staircase, retiring to her room.

The next day, father and I made our way to the new home and walk through it. It was a lovely two-story home with a basement. The first floor had the living room, kitchen, dining room, bathroom, and two small rooms. The second floor included four bedrooms, two of which had a shared bathroom between them and another bathroom in the middle of the hall.